Ocd contaminated cupboard help

Guest Phil10

Guest Phil10

My exposure is not going too well I touched the rucksack and then touched kitchen door handle as was some medication left in the bag so I wouldn’t place it on the work counter anyway I believe the kitchen handle is dirty now 

Anyway someone is coming to collect these rucksacks tonight so my torment is over. This is the issue if I kept them out my holiday clothes or iPad on it potentially I would want to dispose of more stuff! 

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phil10

If I put the rucksacks everywhere in the house the whole house would become off limits and contaminated 

Like I say I wear clothes more than once sit them in the bed then sit on sofa yet don’t worry yet it’s the same surface??

Guest PaulM
1 hour ago, Phil10 said:

If I put the rucksacks everywhere in the house the whole house would become off limits and contaminated 

Like I say I wear clothes more than once sit them in the bed then sit on sofa yet don’t worry yet it’s the same surface??

Yeah, I've had similar struggles. That's why graduated exposure - working a bit at a time - is important.

Putting the rucksacks everywhere would be jumping in the deepest of deep ends. And I know that wouldn't work for me either. Very much the opposite, I'd feel traumatized.

Baby steps. You'll get there. I remember the first book I read about OCD. There was a bit about taking a piece of tissue, touching the toilet, and then touching everything around the house. I thought, there's no bloody way I'm doing that, forget it. I'll live with the anxiety. That would be too much for anyone. But now, I could see someone getting to that stage with the right work leading up to it.

Guest Phil10

I was out tonight and got changed and I put my dirty jeans and work clothes through on the bed but forgot my phone was in the pocket I fear the phone is dirty? As it’s the same germs as the other worry?

Guest Phil10
5 hours ago, PolarBear said:

Phil, it's all a big OCD lie. There is no contamination. It only exists in your head.

So once I wear these clothes and place them on the bed they are not contaminated? My head says they are clean until the moment I remove them and if i decide I only wear them once they become dirty. I sold the rucksacks and I will buy new ones but I feel it was a pointless exercise now as I will have touched my phone before I buy them.

Guest Phil10

I put my phone in my pocket with clothes I put on the bed but wear twice but because I’ve decided I won’t wear these clothes again I believe they have germs. 

Although logic rarely works against an illogical disorder like OCD, you are saying your clothes are fine when they are on you but the moment you take them off they magically become contaminated?

Guest Phil10
13 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Although logic rarely works against an illogical disorder like OCD, you are saying your clothes are fine when they are on you but the moment you take them off they magically become contaminated?

Yes that’s my worry I know it sounds silly but if I used a wash basket that would be a contaminated area however even using a bed to place clothes on causes me anxiety. Moment I decide they are dirty I start to worry? :/

Guest Phil10

Like I say I put my work trousers on bed wear them a few times don’t worry when I put it on pocket but because the clothes I won’t wear again without washing this is why I worried 

Phil I can only teiterate what I said before. The contamination you fear is all in your head. It doesn't really exist. 

I would gladly rub your dirty clothes all over my home and all over me and I wouldn't have a second thought anout it.

Guest Phil10
45 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Phil I can only teiterate what I said before. The contamination you fear is all in your head. It doesn't really exist. 

I would gladly rub your dirty clothes all over my home and all over me and I wouldn't have a second thought anout it.

So you don’t worry about your dirty washing in your house? I always see dirty laundrey as contaminated as people keep it in a basket and it’s called “dirty” so it triggers my ocd

Guest Phil10

Like clothes I wear twice I sit on the bed I don’t get how my ocd is ok with putting my phone in that pocket but if I decide the laundrey is dirty it becomes a contaminanation risk..

1 hour ago, Phil10 said:

So you don’t worry about your dirty washing in your house? I always see dirty laundrey as contaminated as people keep it in a basket and it’s called “dirty” so it triggers my ocd

Well it may be dirty. Dirty and sweaty and often stinky. But its not contaminated. We tend to put used clothing in a basket of some sort to make it easy to tell what needs washing. Not because there is anything wrong with it.

And no, i don't care about dirty laundry. As i said, i could easily wipe dirty laundry all over my house, me, my phone, my cupboards and i wouldn't have a care in the world.

Edited by PolarBear
1 hour ago, Phil10 said:

Like clothes I wear twice I sit on the bed I don’t get how my ocd is ok with putting my phone in that pocket but if I decide the laundrey is dirty it becomes a contaminanation risk..

There is no risk. It's all a big OCD lie.

Guest Phil10

I got a new rucksack today but feel self defeated after the phone issue as the same germs I believed were there are on the phone and I’ve touched the new rucksack ..so buying it was not ideal in these circumstances 

Guest Phil10

I hate thinking something is contaminated worse so my phone as I feel anxious that the germs are being transferred onto everything and I get a tingling sensation that stuff is contaminated

Guest Phil10
8 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Buying a new one was a compulsion and only made things worse. 

You will have to change your thinking and behavior around this or you will remain stuck.

How can I change it? I get more theropy in a week maybe that will help?