Contamination ocd

Hi I suffer from contamination OCD it is so hard for my husband, I am currently doing Erp therapy, can anyone give him some hope and keep his spirits up please. Xxx I have suffered for thirty odd years. Xxx thankyou 

Hi Madchoc, 

I can give both you and your husband hope :) I’ve suffered personally with OCD for over 40 years and for the last 2 years I’ve been doing CBT and the change in me is totally remarkable, i would say I’m 80% better. I’m slowly starting to rebuild my life again and you can too. It takes courage, motivation, persistence and repetition, my advice would be to just focus on each day, not yesterday and not tomorrow, just today. You will have good days and bad days but just accept both and focus on the day in hand. Don’t dwell on what you didn’t achieve yesterday and don’t worry about what you are going to do tomorrow, leave them be. Celebrate every little success you make no matter how small :yes: and don’t get yourself down when something doesn’t go well, this is a learning process so you will make mistakes and it’s at these times that you will begin to learn so don’t worry ? 

Wishing you all the best :) believe in yourself all things are possible :)

Hi @Madchoc

I would strongly suggest that your husband comes on this forum and also, if he isn't already, seeks help himself. My wife has contamination OCD (amongst other forms) and has suffered particularly badly for the last 6 years. There have been many, many times I have felt I can't cope and I have nearly left several times. Since she started getting good CBT treatment she has definitely improved - and I have also been going to a therapist which has helped me think about how I support myself and her better. 

Living with someone with CBT is very very difficult no matter how much you love them. The worst times for me were when my wife tried to lie and hide everything. Now she is open about it and getting treatment it is still hard but it feels possible. At least I know she is trying everything to get better.

Wish you very well

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/06/2018 at 09:09, lostinme said:

Hi Madchoc, 

I can give both you and your husband hope :) I’ve suffered personally with OCD for over 40 years and for the last 2 years I’ve been doing CBT and the change in me is totally remarkable, i would say I’m 80% better. I’m slowly starting to rebuild my life again and you can too. It takes courage, motivation, persistence and repetition, my advice would be to just focus on each day, not yesterday and not tomorrow, just today. You will have good days and bad days but just accept both and focus on the day in hand. Don’t dwell on what you didn’t achieve yesterday and don’t worry about what you are going to do tomorrow, leave them be. Celebrate every little success you make no matter how small :yes: and don’t get yourself down when something doesn’t go well, this is a learning process so you will make mistakes and it’s at these times that you will begin to learn so don’t worry ? 

Wishing you all the best :) believe in yourself all things are possible :)

Spoiler