OCD on ITV1 this Tuesday-Merged threads.

Guest emmalou

just like to let you know theres a documentry on tonight at 8.30 on itv about aman with ocd who has counting rituals and other ocd related problems could be intresting to see if theres any advice on there

sorry only just noticed some one else has already put the info on here :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

Just saw the programme. pretty good and sympathetically handled .You just had to feel so sorry for the guy. The hell of his ocd certainly came over. But once again there was little detail on the kind of treatment that would help. David Veale said sensible things but we came away with no clear idea of the therapy that was going to help. Apart from one session with David Veale where he had to confront his worst fear about his son. But what else ?? I am sure more was done but we never got to see it.

And no helpline or website mentioned at the end on my telly. Did I miss it ?

Dylan

Guest Muse_Man

Well done Hugh....really bought it home how severe OCD can affect the sufferer's and family's lives, very hard hitting. I was watching with my mum and she was asking questions...felt kinda strange. Just one of many sufferer's stories, I think this was good way to raise awareness, but I agree with Dylan that it is only the tip of the iceberg. Hopefully in the future there will be more shows in terms of raising awareness about treatment.

Stuart :)

Sorry this is slightly off topic but on radio 5 live on sat night they were discussing ocd. I only caught the end of it though but listeners were phoning in sharing their experiences. Did anyone else catch the beginning?

Flap

Hi,

Just to let people know, the documentary that was shown on ITV on Tuesday, is being repeated tomorrow night (Thursday), on ITV2 at 8pm

I missed it Tuesday (had parents evening.......my daughter got a glowing report!! :thumbup: ), so will make sure I don't miss it tomorrow.

Kylie

x x x

Guest ScottOCDid

Yes, well done to Hugh.

I think the programme was good in that it portrayed the real depth of feeling very effectively.

I feel that an opportunity was missed to explain how 40 years of anxiety had built up to result in the behaviour that would have seemed to non-sufferers to be so unrelated and inexplicable. As we all know, the seed of doubt, when it is first planted, is actually based on a logical fear. I don't think this was explained especially well.

One of the closing comments, about Hugh being left in doubt as to whether or not his rituals had indeed "protected" his son, could have been emphasised more. To me, this was the very heart of Hugh's problems.

Sorry this is slightly off topic but on radio 5 live on sat night they were discussing ocd. I only caught the end of it though but listeners were phoning in sharing their experiences. Did anyone else catch the beginning?

Errr, yep... but I missed the middle on the night coz I phoned in and had to switch my radio off :huh: .

S

Edited by ScottOCDid
Guest Fireblade

Hi everyone, not been on here for a while.

I have just watched the programme ITV2 and what an impact, thats got to be one of the best portrayed OCD programmes ive seen.

I feel for the guy Hugh in a way that im sure only OCD people can feel for a fellow sufferer.

It seems there is alot more info getting in the media about OCD and making alot more people aware of this massively debilitating illness.

Great to be back on here.

Take Care

Fireblade

I have just watched the programme ITV2 and what an impact, thats got to be one of the best portrayed OCD programmes ive seen.

I feel for the guy Hugh in a way that im sure only OCD people can feel for a fellow sufferer.

Welcome back Fireblade :)

I have to say that I disagree slightly on the ITV documentary. It was very good in portraying this one individuals OCD and Hugh came across as a nice guy trapped in his OCD, I am sure we can all relate to that at different times.

But that said, it did not explain the big picture about OCD, about the other types of OCD and that this gentleman is not a common case in the terms of severity. People complained that the ch4 documentary made it look like OCD was easy to overcome, this one made it look like those of us with OCD are all that severe.

I think one of the best TV documentaries on OCD that I have seen was the one shown this January on ch5.

Guest Lizbeth

I wish I'd watched the documentary but...I just don't like watching these things. They just upset me. The house of obsessive compulsives really upset me (and that's not a criticism of anyone involved) and I just don't like seeing them. For me (and I know this is totally subjective :huh: ) OCD in these programmes always comes across as so severe and, well, insane and I just don't like to think of myself that way. Maybe that's silly of me but it's kinda how I get by and continue thinking of myself as JADE and not OCD. Does that make any kind of sense?!

Does that make any kind of sense?!

This makes a lot of sense to me jade! :hug:

I get upset by these programmes aswell and i only just realised by reading your post that its for the same reason!

xx