I’ve been working so hard on my exposures. There was a time not long ago that I couldn’t be left alone with my son. I now look after him alone on a regular basis. I can’t stay in the house all day with him yet, I have to take him out. But each time I’m with him I’m trying too extend the time I stay indoors.

This week my CBT therapist has asked me to sit outside my sons room while he sleeps. This is a challenge, I usually close his door as soon as he’s asleep. But now I have to keep it open and sit outside it. 

Ive been on the forum a lot less as I identified coming on here, searching for familiar stories, as a compulsion. 

I’ve gone back to work despite my fears and I’m exercising and eating healthily to try and combat my depression. 

We’re getting a kitten, I’ve wanted a cat for a long time and I have been putting it off because my thoughts have already turned to harming the kitten. So yesterday I put down the deposit to buy one. 

So I’m doing all of this, and yet I’m still anxious or extremely stressed whenever I’m alone with my son. I always feel that I’m one step away from harming him. I keep telling myself it’s OCD, but it tells me it’s not OCD and that I want to harm my son. 

Does anyone have any advice on where I’m going wrong? 

First of all, congratulations. You've taken some big steps and that is great.

Second, understand that this is going to take time. Rome was not built in a day.

Third, quit telling yourself it is OCD. That is self reassurance and it is you reacting to the thoughts. We eventually want you to not react at all to the thoughts.

Thank you PolarBear this has been going on for 3 years now. I thought I’d cracked it after my first round of CBT but it’s come back just as strong. I’ll keep going and working hard x