Feel like giving up.

I'm so tired of my life, I go on a routine every day to stay in bed all the time and it's not helping me. I recognize that when I get out of bed, I feel better but it's only because my mum forces me to. I'm thinking about suicide, OCD is dragging me all the way down and I can't bare with it anymore. I'm ruminating about a non OCD event which I told in my last topic and it's making me cry and be depressed so bad. Please help me. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

This forum have rules Lily,

"Don't start a new topic if your post relates to an existing one - reply to the existing thread instead. This helps other forum users read the previous comments, and ensure they can offer the most appropriate advice.   Equally, before posting take some time to re-read the previous responses to your topic/s, chances are the right advice was already offered, and sometimes we just need to refresh our minds with that."

Hey lily OCD will get you down and make you depressed, this is the reason why you need to get yourself up and get busy, laying in bed will only exaggerate your OCD problems. I’m not saying it’s easy to start making changes, but it’s better than living a life of fear. For example today I took my dog out, it’s quite easy for me to avoid doing this because of the fear it causes me, but this would be avoidance and this then reinforces the belief that there is something to fear. Over a period of time the anxiety is diminishing and now I couldn’t bare to think of not taking her. Giving her pleasure gives me pleasure which lifts my mood, not only that but I feel good about myself because for a long time I felt like a terrible person for not being able to do this and this lowers your mood. So working therapy can actually make you feel good because of the achievements you make and it also helps lift your low mood. Come on girl, chin up, let’s help you to start to turn your life around, if I can do it after 40+ years I’m sure you can do it too :yes:

Lily,

Complaining you're depressed doesn't help. Staying in bed thinking about things all day doesn't help. 

Getting up and doing something will help. Keeping busy will take your mind off how you feel. It's all too easy to blame OCD for making you feel bad, but this avoidance behaviour is a big contributory factor. 

You've had a lot of advice already.  Before asking for more help, why don't you tell us what you're doing to help yourself? Where's that list of practical things to do when you feel like this? Keep it handy and refer to it through the day.

21 minutes ago, lostinme said:

Hey lily OCD will get you down and make you depressed, this is the reason why you need to get yourself up and get busy, laying in bed will only exaggerate your OCD problems. I’m not saying it’s easy to start making changes, but it’s better than living a life of fear. For example today I took my dog out, it’s quite easy for me to avoid doing this because of the fear it causes me, but this would be avoidance and this then reinforces the belief that there is something to fear. Over a period of time the anxiety is diminishing and now I couldn’t bare to think of not taking her. Giving her pleasure gives me pleasure which lifts my mood, not only that but I feel good about myself because for a long time I felt like a terrible person for not being able to do this and this lowers your mood. So working therapy can actually make you feel good because of the achievements you make and it also helps lift your low mood. Come on girl, chin up, let’s help you to start to turn your life around, if I can do it after 40+ years I’m sure you can do it too :yes:

Thank you, lost

47 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

This forum have rules Lily,

"Don't start a new topic if your post relates to an existing one - reply to the existing thread instead. This helps other forum users read the previous comments, and ensure they can offer the most appropriate advice.   Equally, before posting take some time to re-read the previous responses to your topic/s, chances are the right advice was already offered, and sometimes we just need to refresh our minds with that."

If you have nothing positive to say to help Lily please refrain from posting.    Myself or my moderators will mention forum rules where we feel appropriate, and sometimes if we need to we do so in private.  

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Sorry. I am taking a break from the forum for 1 week. I wanted to write something childish like delete my account but no come on. Sorry but i don't agree with this at all. So i will take a break for 1 week. I will be back. I just get frustrated about this situation. I have thoughts about fairness and such, bla bla. 

Not mad at anybody. 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
5 minutes ago, snowbear said:

Lily,

Complaining you're depressed doesn't help. Staying in bed thinking about things all day doesn't help. 

Getting up and doing something will help. Keeping busy will take your mind off how you feel. It's all too easy to blame OCD for making you feel bad, but this avoidance behaviour is a big contributory factor. 

You've had a lot of advice already.  Before asking for more help, why don't you tell us what you're doing to help yourself? Where's that list of practical things to do when you feel like this? Keep it handy and refer to it through the day.

You're right, bed is horrible for OCD. I don't know what else to do, I've tried everything and I don't get better

lily it’s hard and we have all been where you are, but you need to start to slowly trying to apply changes. I’m not saying it’s easy and it’s quite easy to just take the avoidance option, but this only makes matters worse believe me. Everyday you have to be determined and more than anything motivated to apply changes. You will have to really work at it and force yourself every time to do it, but eventually it does get easier :yes:

5 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

Sorry. I am taking a break from the forum for 1 week. I wanted to write something childish like delete my accoutn but no come on. Sorry but i don't agree with this at all. So i will take a break for 1 week. I will be back. I just get frustrated about this situation. 

Not mad at anybody. 

You're frustrated because someone is struggling badly?  Then yes, perhaps this forum is not for you.  

4 minutes ago, lily17 said:

You're right, bed is horrible for OCD. I don't know what else to do, I've tried everything and I don't get better

I think your thinking it will get better in a few days and sadly when it doesn’t you go straight back into panic mode. It takes time and perseverance, but most of all you need to accept it’s OCD and that you want to get better :yes:

18 minutes ago, lily17 said:

No, I don't...

Have you thought of going back to school or doing a short course of studies?  How about getting a part-time job or doing some kind of volunteer work?

I am not going to reassure you nor do I want you to keep posting on the forum in your current state of mind.

All I can say is that an empty mind is OCD's workshop.

Having reasonable goals and proper occupation keeps you balance overall.

Your mind and time is put to good use.

Go, get out of bed, go do something, study, take up something you like be it art, music, computer science, whatever. Find a job, earn a bit of cash. Your current lifestyle - lying in bed and performing compulsions is extremely unhealthy both mentally and physically. You will not recover if you carry on like this.

Edited by St Mike
5 minutes ago, lily17 said:

I've tried everything and I don't get better

Now come on Lily, we both know that's probably not the case ;) :lol:

Do you think I recovered by trying things once and suggesting I had tried everything? No, I tried things again and again, and then tried other things again and again and then went back to the first things I tried and guess what, over time things start to work.  But nobody tried those things for me, I had to educate myself about OCD, about CBT, I had to listen to experts and read books and most of all I had to give things a go time and time again.... so what can you try next?