Solipsism ocd

Guest Phil10

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phil10
3 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

It doesn't matter if they are common. You have them and you need to deal with them properly. That means, primarily, slowing down and stopping your compulsions.

What compulsions do I have with this worry though? It’s mostly replacing items..

Guest Phil10

If solipsism is real then I am also not real that takes us back to depersonalization. If I exist and breath eat and drink like anybody else hurt my leg or something I can feel it like anybody else.

If solipsism was true I age so do others so the progress of me aging is also an illusion. If life is intact a illusion I imagine it’s one everybody in the world is seeing.

6 hours ago, Phil10 said:

But I have these thoughts 

And the more you try to find a definitive answer, the worse it's going to get.

Phil, if there were a way to be absolutely sure that solipsism is or isn't correct, then you would've found it by now. But you haven't, because there is no way of being sure. Read through your recent posts again - do you see how you're desperately trying to find reassurance that solipsism isn't real, and you're desperately trying to convince yourself one way or another?

It's not going to work. The uncertainty will always be there. So stop engaging with these thoughts. Yes, they'll keep coming back, because that's how OCD works. Try to passively let these thoughts pass by without thinking about them. Yes, it's hard at first, but you have to take the first step.

This is a bit of a personal question, but what is your life like right now? Are you working, and what are you doing in your spare time? For me personally, the longer I spent thinking about these thoughts the worse they got, and once I started being engaged in work and various other activities, my anxiety got much better.

Guest Phil10
7 minutes ago, bobfish said:

And the more you try to find a definitive answer, the worse it's going to get.

Phil, if there were a way to be absolutely sure that solipsism is or isn't correct, then you would've found it by now. But you haven't, because there is no way of being sure. Read through your recent posts again - do you see how you're desperately trying to find reassurance that solipsism isn't real, and you're desperately trying to convince yourself one way or another?

It's not going to work. The uncertainty will always be there. So stop engaging with these thoughts. Yes, they'll keep coming back, because that's how OCD works. Try to passively let these thoughts pass by without thinking about them. Yes, it's hard at first, but you have to take the first step.

Yes but I can’t be the only one who has these thoughts or questions don’t people study solispsim to find a truth. Not knowing affects my quality of life because nobody might be real how can I be sure I have to trust like is real let’s be honest. I imagine from what I’ve read is people don’t believe it but don’t disprove of it.

Like so far most replies I get never help me because they say solipism might be real however when I read others asking for the question I see many people who are able to dissolve the therory and this helps me to be honest I’m finding forums is making it worse because the people who did post these helpful replies maybe are not on forums to help now.

Guest Phil10
8 minutes ago, bobfish said:

This is a bit of a personal question, but what is your life like right now? Are you working, and what are you doing in your spare time? For me personally, the longer I spent thinking about these thoughts the worse they got, and once I started being engaged in work and various other activities, my anxiety got much better.

I work and spare time I go shopping and go holidays. Holidays takes my mind off it.

Guest Phil10

It’s not just solipsism it’s the meaning of life and why am here Im on the fence with solipism I defo believe there is some interesting ideas about life but I get anxious trying to figure out these thoughts.

12 minutes ago, Phil10 said:

Yes but I can’t be the only one who has these thoughts or questions don’t people study solispsim to find a truth. Not knowing affects my quality of life because nobody might be real how can I be sure I have to trust like is real let’s be honest. I imagine from what I’ve read is people don’t believe it but don’t disprove of it.

Like so far most replies I get never help me because they say solipism might be real however when I read others asking for the question I see many people who are able to dissolve the therory and this helps me to be honest I’m finding forums is making it worse because the people who did post these helpful replies maybe are not on forums to help now.

I understand what you're saying. Many people are interested in philosophical schools of thought, but here's the thing: every single belief system is flawed. Whether it's solipsism, materialism, determinism, whatever you want, there are always going to be problems and ways you can criticise the belief system. Some people without OCD might pick a certain belief system and stick with it - but the difference is that you have OCD, and I'm not sure that'll work for you, because your mind is craving certainty. And no belief system will give you that. Anyone who thinks critically and rationally will accept that whatever they believe in is imperfect and has flaws - but your OCD mind won't accept that.

I think you should consider discussing the best way forward with your therapist. But trying to find answers isn't doing you any good, because you will never be satisfied. You should also stop posting the questions you get about the meaning of life on this forum, because that's a compulsion, and it validates your fears.

Edited by bobfish

Phil, you need to be a little realistic. You have been pondering life and whether everything is just an illusion for how long? You ruminate a great deal over it. You've found some interesting answers on other forums. Okay, but what good has all that done? Are you any closer to an answer niw than you were when you started? No? Of course not. You're still stuck. All the reading and compulsions you've done haven't worked at all. You are still anxious and doubtful. And the truth is, those won't go away until you give up the search for the answers.

Guest Phil10
22 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Phil, you need to be a little realistic. You have been pondering life and whether everything is just an illusion for how long? You ruminate a great deal over it. You've found some interesting answers on other forums. Okay, but what good has all that done? Are you any closer to an answer niw than you were when you started? No? Of course not. You're still stuck. All the reading and compulsions you've done haven't worked at all. You are still anxious and doubtful. And the truth is, those won't go away until you give up the search for the answers.

That’s true I’m not sure what I’m looking for but it helps if there’s people who also have these questions or have worried and got over it might make me feel any better. The answers I found were people who beat solispism ocd. I wasn’t any closer to finding the answers of life. I go through phases and right now I wonder about life all I can say is yes the feelings do pass but in the present moment they are here and it’s a struggle to get though a day to eat sleep and just relax because these worries are so over powering. So that’s why I’m here really because it’s a hard time right now I never heard of solispsim until April 2018.

• 1 month later...
Guest OCDhavenobrain
5 minutes ago, Phil10 said:

My worry about this has come back can anybody help? I was told it would go in a few weeks but the thoughts have come back?

Did your therapist say that? I am only guessing now but could it be that your therapist told you that it will decrease/go away if you are doing exposures? And  if you should be honest with yourself, have you done exposures? If you have done perfectly outside the forum that is great, but i have to tell you that you are doing a lot of compulsions here. I think the reason you are not feeling that it have "gone away" is because you are involving in it. 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

It's perfectly normal for OCD thoughts to return, especially if you ruminate and you've been thinking them for quite a while, which is true in your case. Don't see this as a sign that things are getting worse - just use the techniques you've learned from your therapist and the forum, i.e. trying your best not to engage with these thoughts, not performing any physical or mental compulsions, and just going back to doing what you were doing before.

Guest Phil10
2 hours ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

Did your therapist say that? I am only guessing now but could it be that your therapist told you that it will decrease/go away if you are doing exposures? And  if you should be honest with yourself, have you done exposures? If you have done perfectly outside the forum that is great, but i have to tell you that you are doing a lot of compulsions here. I think the reason you are not feeling that it have "gone away" is because you are involving in it. 

No I read it on another forum.

She has only just started exposure therapy with me with the hand washing. Have I done the exposures to be honest no I’m actually going through a phase where my hand washing is at its worst rather than mild hand washing. 

I posted on another forum that I start my day anxious I look around check for feelings ask myself how I feel about the letter box today or the thoughts of people being real.

Guest Phil10
37 minutes ago, bobfish said:

It's perfectly normal for OCD thoughts to return, especially if you ruminate and you've been thinking them for quite a while, which is true in your case. Don't see this as a sign that things are getting worse - just use the techniques you've learned from your therapist and the forum, i.e. trying your best not to engage with these thoughts, not performing any physical or mental compulsions, and just going back to doing what you were doing before.

Not worse just feel I’m not getting much better. I feel I am able to drag myself away from these thoughts and the letter box and I find about a week later they return as if they are new on my mind that’s whats frustrating 

Guest Phil10

I’ve had thoughts like nobody is real and life is a dream despite dreams existing I thought maybe life is a double dream? And I also worry nobody else is really living there life it’s all in my head.

It makes no sense and it’s a big world and I don’t know why I would be so special to be the only one. But right now it feels that way.

I have to say it’s been one of the worst symptoms of anxiety can anybody relate to this? 

Yes, I've had similar problems in the past. I can relate. I know it's hard not to ruminate when these thoughts hit, but you need to keep resisting and, at least for the time being, not think too deeply about these things. What good will it do?

Ok, everything might be a dream. Everything might be a figment of your imagination. So what?

Many people actually have these thoughts from time to time, but someone without OCD would be able to contemplate these possibilities without feeling distressed, and would be able to stop anytime they wanted. I totally understand how they can cause anxiety, because I've been there. But ruminating will only make things worse.

I know you're feeling frustrated that progress is slow, but you have to remember that recovery is often a long slog. I believe you said that you've had OCD for several years now - you've only started practising CBT recently, so you have to be patient. Listen to your therapist and keep working on your ERP exercises. You won't see a massive improvement overnight, but you'll get there eventually.

Guest Phil10
34 minutes ago, bobfish said:

Yes, I've had similar problems in the past. I can relate. I know it's hard not to ruminate when these thoughts hit, but you need to keep resisting and, at least for the time being, not think too deeply about these things. What good will it do?

Ok, everything might be a dream. Everything might be a figment of your imagination. So what?

Many people actually have these thoughts from time to time, but someone without OCD would be able to contemplate these possibilities without feeling distressed, and would be able to stop anytime they wanted. I totally understand how they can cause anxiety, because I've been there. But ruminating will only make things worse.

I know you're feeling frustrated that progress is slow, but you have to remember that recovery is often a long slog. I believe you said that you've had OCD for several years now - you've only started practising CBT recently, so you have to be patient. Listen to your therapist and keep working on your ERP exercises. You won't see a massive improvement overnight, but you'll get there eventually.

If nobody is real everything is pointless that’s the issue how can I be comfortable with the thoughts of my life is planned out or it’s a lie or a dream? I mean why get up and go to work tomorrow if it’s all fake? 

I know it goes no good but right now these are my thoughts :/ 

And yes had ocd since 2006 and only recently tried proper cbt. 

19 hours ago, Phil10 said:

If nobody is real everything is pointless that’s the issue how can I be comfortable with the thoughts of my life is planned out or it’s a lie or a dream? I mean why get up and go to work tomorrow if it’s all fake? 

Well, ultimately the entire Universe will probably cease to exist, so in fact everything is pointless and meaningless since there's nothing we can do to stop the heat-death.

My point is, if you want to have such a negative view of things, you can very easily argue that even if reality IS what you perceive it to be, there's no point to anything. So you need to change your way of thinking.

Your life, and existence in general, means what YOU choose it to mean. If you want to think that everything is pointless, you can always find reasons to think that way. But you can also think of life as something exciting - you can enjoy going to work, or at the very least using the money you earn to do enjoyable things. You can experience positive things that make you happy. It IS entirely possible to have a good quality of life, but it's up to you to make that happen.

So stop ruminating about what reality may be - you're not getting anywhere with it. Instead, focus on the positive things in life and begin to enjoy living, whatever that may mean.

Edited by bobfish
Guest Phil10
35 minutes ago, bobfish said:

Well, ultimately the entire Universe will probably cease to exist, so in fact everything is pointless and meaningless since there's nothing we can do to stop the heat-death.

My point is, if you want to have such a negative view of things, you can very easily argue that even if reality IS what you perceive it to be, there's no point to anything. So you need to change your way of thinking.

Your life, and existence in general, means what YOU choose it to mean. If you want to think that everything is pointless, you can always find reasons to think that way. But you can also think of life as something exciting - you can enjoy going to work, or at the very least using the money you earn to do enjoyable things. You can experience positive things that make you happy. It IS entirely possible to have a good quality of life, but it's up to you to make that happen.

So stop ruminating about what reality may be - you're not getting anywhere with it. Instead, focus on the positive things in life and begin to enjoy living, whatever that may mean.

You are correct the universe may crease to exist so that’s true.

However in my head I’ve had thoughts like maybe my life is fake and it’s run by aliens or maybe I am the only one and you are reborn over again or I fear when you die you still get no answers. The hardest bit is I don’t believe other people’s lives are real right now I think they are fake when they got to work they don’t really go or they are not really on x place and so on.

once my head gets bored of these thoughts I think maybe my life is planned out maybe I’m living a video game and my thoughts are automatic and I have no choice over them someone’s is controlling them like fate or something.

It all boils down to existence questions I believe with anxiety this is common to start off as depersonalization but for me it’s developed from that into these existence questions.

But yes these thoughts make me feel emotionally numb I can’t think much of other people’s feelings only my inner anxiety. Luckily things have not been any worse this month so I can talk to the therapist about the same issues in more depth she told me if I can see smell touch a person they are real so did this to make me feel better. 

These thoughts come and go sometimes they trouble me a lot sometimes not like I can compare them to what happens when you did because nobody can answer that and say nothing happens so it’s the same idea with the solispism.