OCD switching themes

Can OCD switch themes quickly? Last week I was worried that I'm a paedo, now I'm worried that I'm attracted to my best friend. Last night I was out with my best friend and a thought came into my mind, "what if I would want to be with her?" I started mentally testing, could I be intimate with her? In my mind it seems like I would want to be intimate with her and not be grossed out. This isn't the reaction that I want. I wanted to be grossed out but my mind makes me seem like I could want to be intimate with her. Can OCD trick you like this and make things seem real or are these real feelings?

I think it can switch very fast, without even noticing sometimes. I obsessed over something for 4 years and then out of the blue have started on something else (same theme) and been stuck with that for 8 months now. I have different worries based around the same theme which usually crop up once a week but I end up back on the one main worry again in the end but just with a new aspect of it concerning me. I think this is something we all deal with but obviously it makes it no easier as the old worry loses it's impact but the new one ends up having ultimate importance.

52 minutes ago, Headwreck said:

I think it can switch very fast, without even noticing sometimes. I obsessed over something for 4 years and then out of the blue have started on something else (same theme) and been stuck with that for 8 months now. I have different worries based around the same theme which usually crop up once a week but I end up back on the one main worry again in the end but just with a new aspect of it concerning me. I think this is something we all deal with but obviously it makes it no easier as the old worry loses it's impact but the new one ends up having ultimate importance.

This is so true! My main OCD theme has always been fear or being lesbian or bisexual. I also have other OCD themes which are reoccur from time to time like worrying that I'm a paedo or that I have a brain tumour or cancer. Last week I was so obsessed with the idea that I'm a paedo; it caused me so much grief and depression, but now it's fizzled out and it's like I'm over it, but now it's something else that is taking over.

With you does OCD feel real? OCD makes these thoughts seem real like with my best friend. Is it me or the OCD?

I'm trying not to mentally test, but it's hard. 

Edited by lonelygirl91

I think the issue with OCD is the fact that it all feels real. If it felt false then nobody would have OCD as we would all be safe in the knowledge that the feelings felt fake so they must be. 

I don't want to offer reassurance as we know that it's not the route to take. But any urges you feel you need to act upon ie. mentally testing, checking etc. need to be resisted as they only train your brain to keep testing and checking again in future. It's bloody hard I know, I'm in the depths of despair with this myself, but give it a try. 

I've probably had 3 different themes in the time I've had OCD and about 5 relapses. It can decide on a particular topic you find frightening/disgusting/embarassed about and take hold. It really is down to that individual and their personal values. So when saying: "No one has my OCD" , chances are there are people that do fear about that topic, and regardless of content has to be treated the same. 

Thus is the second thread you've started on the subject of your friend. In my reply to your first thread i pointed out that your mental checking, to see if you would be grossed out by the idea, is a compulsion and needs to stop.

Do themes switch fast? You tell us. You seem to have experienced that first hand.