OCD and Brain Stimulation - "New Scientist"

Hello All

Issue 3180 of the New Scientist magazine (a UK based weekly popular science and technology magazine) [issue dated 2nd June 2018] reports that some interesting side effects have been reported amongst a small sample group of people who have undergone surgery for intractable and severe OCD and have implants in their brains designed to stimulate parts of the circuitry believed to be deficient in people with severe OCD spectrum illness.  Apparently, it can regulate and help overcome diabetes.  

The article is in the print edition of the magazine, but you have to pay for it on the New Scientist website.  

Kind regards

Tez :yes:

Guest OCDhavenobrain
29 minutes ago, Tez said:

Hello All

Issue 3180 of the New Scientist magazine (a UK based weekly popular science and technology magazine) [issue dated 2nd June 2018] reports that some interesting side effects have been reported amongst a small sample group of people who have undergone surgery for intractable and severe OCD and have implants in their brains designed to stimulate parts of the circuitry believed to be deficient in people with severe OCD spectrum illness.  Apparently, it can regulate and help overcome diabetes.  

The article is in the print edition of the magazine, but you have to pay for it on the New Scientist website.  

Kind regards

Tez :yes:

I sat and read about this today, somebody could call this a quickfix-solution, but i am not so sure anymore that OCD can be treated just so with ERP and even if it can, a quickfix would be great. I don't even call it a quickfix, i see it as the ultimate solution, someday we will be able to take a pill or do an operation and fix what makes us having OCD, if not the world ends before but otherwise there will be something like that. Atleast you have to believ that if you think that you are your brain. 

I will read about it, thanks. 

I found this intresting

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
Removed external link
28 minutes ago, Tez said:

Apparently, it can regulate and help overcome diabetes.   

Hi Tez, yes I saw that myself last week... Since I started this charity, DBS has been linked with most illnesses since 2004 :lol:   I remain incredibly sceptical with DBS, in fact I tweeted something on Friday about the 'dubious' way DBS research takes place.  There were rumours that negative research findings were buried (although I have not proved that), it's one of those subjects I keep meaning to come back to and look more into.

There was that UCL study in 2016, and when I started asking questions of the researchers they basically refused to talk to me, then last month there was that story of two twin girls in the US who had DBS for OCD and took their own lives so I started looking again (briefly) and stumbled on a fascinating blog about a massive US study of DBS for depression and one of those participants took his own life too, but before that he had two others that took part spoke to the blog writer and what their accounts differed to the accounts from the final researchers publication paper. 

The interesting thing is that in 2004 it was a 'new experimental treatment for OCD', now in 2018 I am not sure we can describe it as anything more than experimental, my big concern is the real risks involved and if that information is being fully published.

I know of one person who had DBS and ended up suffering from manic episodes- I'm not sure I'd exchange OCD for bipolar type symptoms.

I would love there to be a medical solution to OCD in the future but I'm not sure DBS is the solution. I will have to read up on it.