Hello,

My Mum had an MRI scan a few weeks ago because she has had persistent and very severe migraines for years. She has a migraine probably every other day and they are crippling. She also has frequent episodes of dizziness/faintness.

Anyway she phoned up for her results and was told that she needed to book to see the GP to discuss her results. She has booked to see one on Friday. She was apparently told that there were 'No urgent concerns' but that she still needed to book in to discuss something.

When she has had blood tests in the past, she has been told 'No need to see GP, no findings' etc. so I'm worried about this.

I think the reason for the MRI was to rule out an aneurysm (which her grandma died from). However I've had this feeling (which might be OCD) for ages that she might have cancer. She had a cancer scare last year so that didn't help.

I'm very worried that A. there might be something seriously wrong OR that indicates that something might be wrong and B. that I won't cope well as I know I cause her a great deal of stress so am partially responsible if anything is wrong.

Do you think my 'feeling that she might have cancer' is just OCD?

What do you think? You're jumping the gun, thinking the worst possible outcome, even though there's a perfectly valid alternate explanation available, that the MRI people do not give results over the phone.

I'm not sure if this technically qualifies as OCD but it sure is anxiety driven.

Ruminating over this until Friday will absolutely do you no good. Get on with your life.

It may not be necessarily OCD but there’s definitely an element of anxiety in your worrying because you have got some catastrophic thinking going on, general anxiety can cause this, I am guilty of this sometimes too. Do your best to relax yourself and try and chill out, you will just have to wait and find out the outcome xx

Thanks PolarBear and Wonderer! 

Polar- I think that I'm more concerned because when my Mum had a CT scan (she had both on the GPs recommendation- she does not have health anxiety) she was told that it was all clear over the phone whereas they have not done this with the MRI. I have also heard of other people receiving letters after MRI rather than having to see their GP so my parents have taken this to mean that there is something that needs further tests/treatment. 

I do have a sort of Health Anxiety that tends to focus on other people so it could be OCD. 

Thanks Wonderer, I have been better about trying to relax and distract myself today! xx

Guest OCDhavenobrain

That is good BelAnna. Treat it as OCD don't get to stuck in the difference between health anxiety and OCD if you have OCD, that is all you need to know. 

On 12/06/2018 at 23:41, OCDhavenobrain said:

That is good BelAnna. Treat it as OCD don't get to stuck in the difference between health anxiety and OCD if you have OCD, that is all you need to know. 

Thanks OCDhavenobrain. I am feeling really anxious at the moment as she's at the GP getting her results.

On 13/06/2018 at 02:31, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

Has your mum been tested for celiac disease? I only ask as it sounds similar to what my mum went through before we found out what was wrong.

She hasn't but she has had migraines for 30 years- did your Mum have chronic migraines too? I'm worried they'll find a lesion, aneurysm or tumour on the scan.

On 11/06/2018 at 20:01, Wonderer said:

It may not be necessarily OCD but there’s definitely an element of anxiety in your worrying because you have got some catastrophic thinking going on, general anxiety can cause this, I am guilty of this sometimes too. Do your best to relax yourself and try and chill out, you will just have to wait and find out the outcome xx

Thanks Wonderer. I'm trying to relax but at the moment I'm worrying because she's actually in the GP appointment getting her results.xx

On 11/06/2018 at 19:40, PolarBear said:

What do you think? You're jumping the gun, thinking the worst possible outcome, even though there's a perfectly valid alternate explanation available, that the MRI people do not give results over the phone.

I'm not sure if this technically qualifies as OCD but it sure is anxiety driven.

Ruminating over this until Friday will absolutely do you no good. Get on with your life.

Thanks Polarbear, I think that sometimes people do get MRI results over the phone/by letter if everything is ok. It is definitely making my OCD and anxiety worse. I actually have been trying various techniques including 'worry time' and keeping away from Google (i.e. not researching) to try to help but as she's at the GP I feel very concerned. Unfortunately I don't really have a life at the moment!

Edited by BelAnna

Thanks OCDhavenobrain and Wonderer. My Mum just found out that she has a brain aneurysm so she now has an urgent Neurosurgical referral BUT it is small so I'm not sure if they'll operate or wait to see.

Hi BelAnna, I'm so sorry to hear your Mum does have a brain aneurysm. Fingers crossed it doesn't require operation.

My mum also had chronic migraines, very bad ones, which have all but stopped (touch wood!) since she started a gluten free diet. I'm not saying it's definitely the same for your mum, obviously, but I wanted to say in case it was any help.

If your mum did want to get tested, it's important to keep eating gluten until after the blood test. Not all doctors know this!

:hug:

Thanks Lost! that's great that your Mum's migraines have cleared up after eliminating gluten. Have you been tested for Coeliac Disease too? (I know it can be genetic). 

I'm really hoping my Mum's ok. Her Grandma died from an aneurysm at about her age so it's worrying. It is a small aneurysm so the Neurologist might take a 'wait-to-see' approach. I guess that they have to balance up the risk of stroke/death with no action vs. the risk of either happening if they do surgery or stenting. Apparently 40% of people whose aneurysms rupture die but that means 60% don't.

My Dad has had heart problems and stenting this year and I'm in the process of moving house so definitely feeling stressed!

Edited by BelAnna

Sorry to hear this BelAnna.

A friend of mine has a small aneurysm too and the surgical team decided to take a "watch and wait" approach with him. If they decide to do this with your mum then it is a good thing as it means it isn't too serious at present and isn't likely to be for a long while.

Do keep us posted :hug:

Sorry to hear that BelAnna.

It's very normal to worry about cancer tests results though anxiety makes it worse. 

As you get older its more common to have cancer tests - I'm mid 40s and had 5 in the past year and am due a brain MRI though can't face anymore tests at the moment. With CT / MRI you generally don't get results over phone - infact I don't think any of my results have been over the phone and they've been negative for cancer though showing other issues. 

The doctors will take care of your Mum and do everything they can. 

Thanks Lost, Lynz and Justine! 

Thanks Lost, it is really stressful! I'm so sorry you're housebound- that must be so difficult. I am quite restricted in that I cannot go into town or do normal activities but very lucky not to be totally housebound. Are you having CBT just now over the phone or via facetime?

Thanks Justine, that's horrible that you've had several cancer scares- they're so anxiety provoking. My Mum's cancer scare last year really worried me! Now she has a brain aneurysm instead and it's a whole new thing to worry about! 

Thanks Lynz, it seems like they do often leave small aneurysms and monitor them regularly? The only factors that might change their decision are that my Mum is getting blindingly intense early morning migraines (they start with a bang and are worse lying down), which are increasing in intensity so perhaps the aneurysm is getting larger? Also as she has a family history of aneurysm then they might opt to stent. I'm also wondering whether she should have Echo because her Grandma had bicuspid aortic heart valve disease with associated migraines and then the brain aneurysm. Bicuspid aortic valve issues are associated with both migraine and a risk factor in aneurysm and are genetic so it might be worthwhile? 

Edited by BelAnna