Mentally testing sexual thoughts. Is this normal?

I mentally test so much? I mentally test sexual scenarios in my head. At the moment I'm worried, what if I'm attracted to my best friend. In my mind I try to imagine, would I want to be naked with her? I know it's sick. Who imagines stuff like that. I try to imagine her naked to see if I would be attracted to her and if I could be sexual with her. I wrinkle my nose with disgust as I write this. Don't you only imagine people naked if you want to sleep with them or fancy them? Part of me is like no way, I don't see my friend like that and then the part of me is like, I could want to be with her and sleep with her and it depresses me and I'm like WTF??

Is this normal, do people with OCD have these kind of thoughts and mentally test these kind of scenarios?

Lonelygirl, I have raised this issue twice with you within the past 10 days. As I said before, twice, this mental testing you are doing is a compulsion and needs to stop. It is a type of checking compulsion and it is only keeping you stuck. You think you need to do it to find the truth but you find nothing but more guilt, shame, anxiety and doubt.

11 hours ago, PolarBear said:

Lonelygirl, I have raised this issue twice with you within the past 10 days. As I said before, twice, this mental testing you are doing is a compulsion and needs to stop. It is a type of checking compulsion and it is only keeping you stuck. You think you need to do it to find the truth but you find nothing but more guilt, shame, anxiety and doubt.

But is this type of mental testing normal or typical within OCD, imagining your best friend naked and being intimate with them to see if I would desire her and want to be intimate with her. How is that different from fantasizing? I guess when I fantasize about men it doesn't cause me anxiety and it's not ruminating and it's not forced. I seem to have lost interest in men but I don't know if this is because of the OCD. 

I mentally test all the time, unfortunately. Gets you nowhere, accept your mind is putting **** in your head to get you to react. Leave the thought alone, no matter how disgusting it is. It is hard, but not impossible. 

3 hours ago, PolarBear said:

What i can say is it is normal for you. Checking is a well known compulsion. Lots of people do it, in different ways.

So you're saying that this is still OCD despite this sexual mental testing in my mind. Do people with sexual orientation check mentally create and check these thoughts like I do? 

20 minutes ago, Imhotep said:

I mentally test all the time, unfortunately. Gets you nowhere, accept your mind is putting **** in your head to get you to react. Leave the thought alone, no matter how disgusting it is. It is hard, but not impossible. 

I try to test these thoughts to see if I find them disgusting but sometimes my mind isn't disgusted and I'm like WTF?? To you get that? Is it normal for people with OCD 

Guest OCDhavenobrain
10 minutes ago, lonelygirl91 said:

I try to test these thoughts to see if I find them disgusting but sometimes my mind isn't disgusted and I'm like WTF?? To you get that? Is it normal for people with OCD 

Please for your recovery's sake stop trying to figure out if it is normal, it will go on and on and on, you get something answered and something new will pop up. I GUARANTEE you! 

You have OCD and you will need to sit there while the questions are unanswered, if you could recovered after you got your fears disproven well then it would be easy peasy to recover. The reason so few are recovering is because it is so damn hard!

I totally agree with the advice given here.  I think you don't yet fully understand why/how reassurance-seeking keeps OCD going, but it does, and you will only feel worse and worse the more you do this kind of thing.  I know how incredibly difficult it is to resist the urge but you need to do as others have said and leave these questions unanswered if you ever want to be able to move on from this. 

4 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I totally agree with the advice given here.  I think you don't yet fully understand why/how reassurance-seeking keeps OCD going, but it does, and you will only feel worse and worse the more you do this kind of thing.  I know how incredibly difficult it is to resist the urge but you need to do as others have said and leave these questions unanswered if you ever want to be able to move on from this. 

That's not the question. The question I asked is if this type of mental testing and to that degree that I wrote are typical or normal of OCD. Is it normal to test whether or not you could be naked with your best friend and whether or not you desire her? 

2 minutes ago, lonelygirl91 said:

That's not the question. The question I asked is if this type of mental testing and to that degree that I wrote are typical or normal of OCD. Is it normal to test whether or not you could be naked with your best friend and whether or not you desire her? 

It is the question though, because what you are asking is reassurance-seeking - you want to know if this kind of thing is normal for OCD, so you can be reassured that it is an OCD problem and not a real problem.  By asking this kind of question you are engaging with it, reinforcing its importance in your mind, and ultimately keeping the OCD alive.

You must learn to leave these questions unanswered, over time - which is very difficult, I know. 

Testing sexual thoughts is not the same as fantasising. If you're fantasising there is no testing or checking involved, you just fantasise because it is enjoyable. Testing thoughts coupled with anxiety = compulsions.

Edited by Lynz
23 hours ago, lonelygirl91 said:

I think it's because you think about that thought so much you de-sensitize yourself from it so your mind instinctively isn't so repulsed anymore, of course then your OCD will interpret that as "you were fantasizing" - which is nonsense.

Edited by Atlantis