need some pointers to ask my psychiatrist

Hey i probably should of posted yesterday.

im due to see my duty psychiatrist for a review in half an hour :/ 

ive been persistently asking to be refferred for therapy and being told once stable. i feel i am managing bad days and currently having more good days than bad. ive completed my own flower formulation which il be showing her 

i also enrolled on a confidence & resiliance course started back up with hobbies and generally keeping myself busy rather tha n sitting ruminating and also identified my triggers im hoping she will agree to refer me rather than simply increase my tablets. 

is there anything in particular i should be asking? i dont hold much hope since she couldnt be bothered to ring me back after making 3 requests 2 weeks ago 

ive asked but keep meeting the same response of once im stable...they dont know what stable looks like for me. she said although im making positive progress in recognising my triggers and trying to keep myself active rather than opting to sit ruminating all day that im not making as much progress as she would like! 

then went on to say that the mirtazapine im on (30mg) takes up to 12 weeks etc when i know its not medication that helps. she said i need to consider going up to the maximum of 45mg 

Shes just a psychiatrist she wont be the one delivering therapy. if i ask to change i could be waiting months, last time it took 10months before i got to see one to diagnose OCD and much longer to be refferred for CBT by wich point i was told i didnt need since the intrusive thoughts were all but gone so got signed off. 

i do however see a new care co-ordinator tommorrow who does runs group CBT classes..so im hoping she may be more beneficial for me for now. but it is getting rediculous being told i have to keep increasing my medication when its therapy i need to help manage things. 

Sorry to hear your Psychiatrist is being unhelpful. CBT is arguably more important than medication for treating OCD. Definitely ask your care-coordinator to put in a request for you to see a CBT therapist for one-to-one therapy!

5 hours ago, beckyboo said:

ive asked but keep meeting the same response of once im stable...they dont know what stable looks like for me.

So ask them what endpoint they're looking for in order to offer you CBT.  Force them to define what they mean by 'stable'. 

They can't expect you to work towards a goal if they haven't told you where the goal posts are! 

i think stable is where im no longer having the ruminating thoughts of self harm :/ 

even though those are unwanted thoughts. 

il be asking my care co today because i cant keep going round in cycles like this 

23 hours ago, snowbear said:

So ask them what endpoint they're looking for in order to offer you CBT.  Force them to define what they mean by 'stable'. 

They can't expect you to work towards a goal if they haven't told you where the goal posts are! 

I saw my new care co ordinator today, shes just completed her first year in CBT training so was much more relaxed an felt really understood. 

she wanted to get a clear picture of when intrusive thoughts started, triggers any rituals and things i gave her a copy of my flower formulation which she said would be highly useful in making sure i get the right care going forward & helps them to understand my difficulties and what areas i need help with. 

she quiried wether or not a diagnosis of depression in march was right as ive always maintained i wasnt depressed but the OCD was causing depressive like symptoms i feel there is a big difference she also doesnt agree woth the psychiatrist continually wanting to increase my anti depressants which arnt even SSRI i did one of those scale questionnaire which i scored a 2 for depression. she said these forums are a good place to start for self help and also re-reading the break free from OCD. are there any self help things i can do now until CBT starts. shes going to show my formulation flower to the psycologist and also the cbt therapist until then i wont see anyone until 12th july 

That all sounds very positive Becky. Fingers crossed it works out or you. July will come round quickly and reading Break Free between now and then will give you some ideas on where to start when you get your CBT. :)