Experiences of hospital treatment

Guest Phil10

Guest Phil10

Experiences of hospital treatment

A few years ago I had a bipolar breakdown and spent a week In hospital. The experience made me question meaning of life ect and also had lots of unanswered questions.

* I had nurses, psychologists and a psychiatrist visit me after I got out how common is this? 

*I became obsessed with sports and religion one nurse visited me I wouldn’t let her In the house as I got s bad vibe anybody else had this? Is it bipolar symptom or something?

*I had a number I could call at the hospital. After I was discharged I wasn’t allowed to call it again is this also common practice?

*I was told one day it would be x nurse visit me but someone else came and they made excuses like they were on holiday.

*The psychologist was intrigued by what I said and also said I may ask questions in future. I became obsessed with safe colours this interested her too. 

*When I was ill all my family were up all night because I could call them at like 4am? Also when I was ill my parents said “I wouldn’t get back” this sticks in my mind because I believe it meant I would either be hospitalised forever or I would die. Which did they mean? 

*A psychiatrist said to me theropy wasn’t suitable for me why did they do this and ever since I had to go private? 

*They said I had an acute stress reaction why did they misdiagnose me and a week later decide it was bipolar because my parents said I had bipolar in 2005? 

Would be grateful if anybody could answer these questions or share similar experiences of time in hospital with anxiety, depression or bipolar ect?

Guest Phil10

At the time they seemed sure I wouldn’t get ill again or end up in hospital I mean how did they know? I felt like I had my last chance in life? Again this is a religious issue.

Hi Phil.  I reckon that you must have more than one diagnosis given that you have another thread talking about things which traditionally would fall under the OCD umbrella. You also mention in this other thread that your psychiatrist barred you from certain forms of NHS treatment. If I were you I would clarify the position and to this end I would get an advocate to help you do this; especially with regard to whether the barring was a temporary measure in the context of a diagnosed bipolar breakdown or a longer term measure. I think that a permanent ban would be very unreasonable.

Edited by Angst
Guest Phil10
On 20/06/2018 at 15:37, Angst said:

Hi Phil.  I reckon that you must have more than one diagnosis given that you have another thread talking about things which traditionally would fall under the OCD umbrella. You also mention in this other thread that your psychiatrist barred you from certain forms of NHS treatment. If I were you I would clarify the position and to this end I would get an advocate to help you do this; especially with regard to whether the barring was a temporary measure in the context of a diagnosed bipolar breakdown or a longer term measure. I think that a permanent ban would be very unreasonable.

That’s true I never asked again I was too scared to ask but perhaps they would offer me some now so I could ask my next check up. That said I am getting private CBT anyway.

They never seemed bothered about my ocd..what about my other questions is this common or anybody any experiences of being in hospital?