Help with contamination ocd

I would love to hear from anyone who has successfully treated contamination OCD. I have had it for over half my life now (I’m 32) and I want to get passed it. The issue is I know there are germs and dirt on things like public door handles etc. so I can’t just challenge it as to be it’s rational not to touch it. But it interferes with my life. I want a baby and they are going to produce all sorts of bodily fluids, which is one of my main contamination fears. I feel like if I go near it (not mine) or clean it up, it’s all over me. I’ve got to treat this as I want my life back. For example, my husband was sick the other day. He cleaned the toilet but not to my standards. However, I’m the type of person whose ocd makes them want everything clean but avoids cleaning it as I know I won’t stop. I’m stuck in a loop. Would love to hear other stories of those who have got passed this 

You might want to keep in mind that OCD is the worst contaminant - by far. Try to embrace the fact that the world is contaminated - and by that fact isn't contaminated at all. You can be the cleanest - most germ free person in the world - the kicker is that you'll never actually live a life. 

Edited by paradoxer
9 hours ago, paradoxer said:

You might want to keep in mind that OCD is the worst contaminant - by far. Try to embrace the fact that the world is contaminated - and by that fact isn't contaminated at all. You can be the cleanest - most germ free person in the world - the kicker is that you'll never actually live a life. 

Well put paradoxer. As someone who’s experienced ocd surrounding contamination, I can confirm it steals your life if you let it. 

My world has got a lot bigger since I started cbt jennielouises. I now have the beginnings of a new career and am able to enjoy being a parent. The more you give to the disorder the more it takes from you. 

12 hours ago, Storm said:

Well put paradoxer. As someone who’s experienced ocd surrounding contamination, I can confirm it steals your life if you let it. 

My world has got a lot bigger since I started cbt jennielouises. I now have the beginnings of a new career and am able to enjoy being a parent. The more you give to the disorder the more it takes from you. 

:)

Hi Jennie

"Contamination OCD" is no different to any other form of OCD.  It's an inflated, irrational obsession that convinces you it is real and important.  It isn't.  The risk you perceive isn't real or rational.  The majority of the population deal with these "risks" every day.  They clean up after their children, their pets multiple times a day, they don't wear latex gloves to do so.  I worked for many years in elderly care and have cleaned up more "you know what" than any infant will produce (in an era where gloves were never used) and I'm alive, well and thriving!

That's not offered as reassurance but simply to show the extent and absurdity of OCD fears.

Forget the "Contamination" label and accept that this is OCD, an obsession (O) that we try to handle with compulsions (C) that is/or becomes a disorder (D)

The population hasn't become compromised because of germs or contamination.  The majority of that population don't give a toss or give it any consideration and yet are all alive, well and thriving.  What does that tell you?

That you have an anxiety disorder that is making you very afraid and anxious.

As long as you continue to use avoidance, compulsions and rituals to handle your fear you will remain in fear.  When you accept the cause and resolve to gradually face the fears (and reduce avoidant/compulsive behaviours) you can start to progress.

Are you ready to take that on board  and take back control?  It's a (perceived) risk worth taking, honestly