Emotional Attachments to people

Just wondering if anyone else finds they get this alongside OCD? Had a recent saga with my neighbour who I first thought I'd fallen for but having compared it to emotional attachment it does feel more like the latter, i.e. if you really love someone you want them to be happy - but with this girl, I don't want her to get a boyfriend and cut me out - which is emotional attachment. Whilst I do admit now that I have a crush on her, and I love being around her, I've screwed things up at the moment because I again, after being asked not to, asked her about if she was planning on making a move on a guy when we were at a party.. cos to be honest I didn't wanna see it because it would hurt for whatever reason. 

I think this emotional attachment has caused stress which has obviously triggered the OCD monster, exagerrating everything, from my feelings for her to over reacting to things she says negative or positive. 

I know the two feelings of love and emotional attachment are very similar, but very different in status. 

Guest PaulM
On 21/06/2018 at 02:35, Atlantis said:

Just wondering if anyone else finds they get this alongside OCD? Had a recent saga with my neighbour who I first thought I'd fallen for but having compared it to emotional attachment it does feel more like the latter, i.e. if you really love someone you want them to be happy - but with this girl, I don't want her to get a boyfriend and cut me out - which is emotional attachment. Whilst I do admit now that I have a crush on her, and I love being around her, I've screwed things up at the moment because I again, after being asked not to, asked her about if she was planning on making a move on a guy when we were at a party.. cos to be honest I didn't wanna see it because it would hurt for whatever reason. 

I think this emotional attachment has caused stress which has obviously triggered the OCD monster, exagerrating everything, from my feelings for her to over reacting to things she says negative or positive. 

I know the two feelings of love and emotional attachment are very similar, but very different in status. 

Hi Atlantis. The emotional attachment traits you have pointed out are interesting. I'm not sure if it's OCD related, or an unrelated sensitivity.

One of my cousins was talking to me about love/attachment and loss/grief. She commented the way it impacts us seemed to be a family trait. I wonder if the sensitivity is one think that predisposes some of us to OCD.

Stress will, for most of us, exacerbate OCD or anxiety in general. They're quite good at feeding on one another. Almost symbiotic.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I don't know man. I feel like i am sensitive to relationships, i don't want to have many friends, one is enough. Things which seems to be less severe to other is bigger for me. 

Well i don't know, some would say it could be autism, other could say it is stalking, and then even another group could say it is because one is introverted. 

When it comes to stress it does seems to trigger OCD, but the wrong thing is to avoid stress, it will leave you unable to do anything. As i said to my psychiatrist once, when he said i needed to avoid stress.

Spoiler

Edited by OCDhavenobrain