Therapy not working

Guest Phil10

Guest Phil10

So far it’s not working.

I said I was anxious and had to switch a movie off and put classical music on she said that’s fine as it relaxes me I said no the anxiety beat me and I was annoyed I missed the movie. Now I go back to other methods I use which involves eliminating anxiety. Also when I had therapy when I was 16 which was over a decade ago the person was very helpful and said I should try and go to cinema not let anxiety win and I even took a little card in my wallet to stay in the situation as I use to run to the toilet. 

She said you can’t eliminate anxiety yet in the past I have. I don’t mean if a bear jumped out you wouldn’t panic I mean having unwanted anxiety and panic.

Yes it’s helpful to talk about it but I’m paying good money for it. So far I’ve seen little improvement in my ocd unwanted thoughts or anxiety. I will asses it after another session or two however I believe I won’t be beating anxiety until I’m ready. It comes and goes and therapy doesn’t seem to have much effect.

Hi Phil,

When you next see her, I'd ask your therapist why she felt it was fine to stop watching the movie, when that's exactly what, as you rightly say, you shouldn't be doing during the exposure treatment.

Never be afraid to ask a therapist to explain the reasoning behind their advice, if they're good they'll always be happy to work through any stumbling blocks, and if they take umbrage, well that's usually a sign they may not be up to the job of treating OCD.

Even without the benefit of knowing the full context in which it was said, it would be enough for me to also pause for thought about her expertise.

Having said that, when you say you haven't seen much improvement in the intrusive thoughts and the therapy isn't working.....I'm not sure if this is what you're saying, but are you setting yourself an unachievable of goal here by not wanting to experience them again?

However good the person providing CBT is, that's not it's purpose, your therapist should be helping you to change the way you think about them, the meaning you're giving them etc. They'll still be there, but the only reaction if any will be meh...complete indifference.

I'd have a chat with her and go from there, maybe take a breather and when you feel ready to begin and commit again find another through the NHS or BABCP.

By the sounds of it though, you have a good handle on what you need to do with the ERP, maybe you could carry on with it, with everyone's support and advice on the forum.:)