:) finished therapy but still believe long way 2go

Hi

I just wanted to share that I am very happy I have been discharged from therapy but still believe there's a long way to go.

I am aiming to put all the practices I was taught into place and some have been working already, in times under considerable stress.

My compulsions weigh heavy on my mind like right now as I am typing but I guess I just have to go down that rabbit hole, and see if a better life awaits, which I have desire and confidence will be.

Best to all

Andrew

:)

PS: Make the most and enjoy the beaming sun! :)

29 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

Why were you discharge? This is not how it works, therapy should be given while you are recovering.

Depends where it is, and what type. If it’s free CBT on the NHS is the UK, you only get 20 free sessions.

Good luck, Andrew! I was discharged a few months ago and am doing much better than I was but as you say still some work to do.

Guest OCDhavenobrain
8 minutes ago, kaheath80 said:

Depends where it is, and what type. If it’s free CBT on the NHS is the UK, you only get 20 free sessions.

Good luck, Andrew! I was discharged a few months ago and am doing much better than I was but as you say still some work to do.

It is just that i get the impression from Andrewc posts on the forum that he still have big anxiety. But i can be wrong, it could be that you have improve greatly and just have the final things to do Andrewc. Have you got better from the therapy Andrew?

"It's just that I feel all types of therapy are hopeless, and never ever work with me. I've tried everything, even Private, which makes no difference. And I go through cycles with employment. I get a top, career driven job, then lose it a year or two later, relationships fail, and I'm back to square 1."

Andrew i know that you have some tics, i am not saying that it is not OCD, it could be OCD. It could also be something else. Sadly getting therapy isn't the same as recovering. Do you feel that you have got any better from all the years in therapy?

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

Woohoo well done Andrew! I was also discharged when I wasn’t fully recovered yet, the purpose of the therapy is to give us the tools we need to become our own therapist, it took me about 6 months after therapy to feel back to myself and now in recovered for the past 6 months! Learning to tolerate anxiety is deffo the way forward, I wish u all the very best on your journey! Good luck xx

3 hours ago, kaheath80 said:

1 hour ago, Wonderer said:

Woohoo well done Andrew! I was also discharged when I wasn’t fully recovered yet, the purpose of the therapy is to give us the tools we need to become our own therapist, it took me about 6 months after therapy to feel back to myself and now in recovered for the past 6 months! Learning to tolerate anxiety is deffo the way forward, I wish u all the very best on your journey! Good luck xx

Many thanks both of u! 

I feel quite proud to be discharged. Everything is still quite hard due to the compulsions but I am implementing my therapist's methods more and more now.

Also I have found great solace in reading. I've read 4 novels I think in the last 6 months, and went to the library today to get another book out, then sat under a tree in the park and read.

And I am very fortunate I have a super supportive and understanding GP who I seem to get hold of easily. Literally she is amazing! 

And the fact I have run nearly every day in the last year has built up a lot of resilience and body+mind tolerance in me. And I am going out more with friends. This is a big thing, and they back me hard. Like if they don't hear from me I get a knock at the door! :) Lovely people. And there's a couple of other practices I have been taught which must keep doing like writing a diary of happy, nice things that happen during the day, to focus on them. Also I am going to go to a monthly group somewhere too which is free, and I can meet like-minded people. And I still do security weekly somewhere where I get a lot of love from the congregation inside and big appreciation too.  

57 minutes ago, Andrewc said:

Many thanks both of u! 

I feel quite proud to be discharged. Everything is still quite hard due to the compulsions but I am implementing my therapist's methods more and more now.

Also I have found great solace in reading. I've read 4 novels I think in the last 6 months, and went to the library today to get another book out, then sat under a tree in the park and read.

And I am very fortunate I have a super supportive and understanding GP who I seem to get hold of easily. Literally she is amazing! 

And the fact I have run nearly every day in the last year has built up a lot of resilience and body+mind tolerance in me. And I am going out more with friends. This is a big thing, and they back me hard. Like if they don't hear from me I get a knock at the door! :) Lovely people. And there's a couple of other practices I have been taught which must keep doing like writing a diary of happy, nice things that happen during the day, to focus on them. Also I am going to go to a monthly group somewhere too which is free, and I can meet like-minded people. And I still do security weekly somewhere where I get a lot of love from the congregation inside and big appreciation too.  

Wow I LOVE this! It sounds like u have an amazing support network around u and things are definitely improving, all going in the right direction! I also use reading as a distraction, and now that I’m better I make it my mission to continue reading as there’s nothing quite like getting lost in a good book! Well done and keep on going!x

16 minutes ago, Wonderer said:

Wow I LOVE this! It sounds like u have an amazing support network around u and things are definitely improving, all going in the right direction! I also use reading as a distraction, and now that I’m better I make it my mission to continue reading as there’s nothing quite like getting lost in a good book! Well done and keep on going!x

Exactly! So true! Fictions amazing and what I love is how images of the stories form in my mind. A whole new world! Better than this1!! ;)).

And I am so excited as my local library has loads of koontz and king books. It's amazing, got 1 today which suits me to a tee! (The story)

Plus I used self service, let myself in with a code, best! And loads of quiet spots too..really nice. And I might meet people... 

45 minutes ago, Andrewc said:

Exactly! So true! Fictions amazing and what I love is how images of the stories form in my mind. A whole new world! Better than this1!! ;)).

And I am so excited as my local library has loads of koontz and king books. It's amazing, got 1 today which suits me to a tee! (The story)

Plus I used self service, let myself in with a code, best! And loads of quiet spots too..really nice. And I might meet people... 

Awesome!!! I feel the same as u do about the images of the stories, I’ve a really vivid imagination and I picture all the characters and scenes vividly, I love reading, always been a bookworm, my friends are aware of this and always send me their books when they’re finished, I have sooooo many books to get through that I’ll not need to visit a library anytime soon! I just ordered a lot of Charles Dickens novels recently as I had just watched the show Dickensian on Netflix and it put me in the notion for a good read of his novels, I’ll make a start on those once I’ve foinished my current read! Yes, u could meet like minded people in the library, have u ever considered joining a book club? I am contemplating it, was chatting with my sister about it just yesterday! Xx

15 minutes ago, Wonderer said:

Awesome!!! I feel the same as u do about the images of the stories, I’ve a really vivid imagination and I picture all the characters and scenes vividly, I love reading, always been a bookworm, my friends are aware of this and always send me their books when they’re finished, I have sooooo many books to get through that I’ll not need to visit a library anytime soon! I just ordered a lot of Charles Dickens novels recently as I had just watched the show Dickensian on Netflix and it put me in the notion for a good read of his novels, I’ll make a start on those once I’ve foinished my current read! Yes, u could meet like minded people in the library, have u ever considered joining a book club? I am contemplating it, was chatting with my sister about it just yesterday! Xx

Wicked! I don't know I have considered it but the thing which puts me off is I like to read what I want to read so I'm not sure I would...

I'm really into Dean Koontz books at the moment. They usually have a completely upside down ending which completely staggers me, and entraps me for the last 100 pages or so....An example of this is 'Soul Survivor'. I was totally stunned near the end, and it had a really beautiful touch to complete it, and made me think massively. (in a good way! ;))

What are you reading currently to finish before Dickens' novels? I started 'Innocence' today in the park, by Dean Koontz. And today I'm pleased because I've NOT run, and therefore taken a day of recovery, as my right knee was feeling 'strange knobbly' at the end of my 14km yesterday. My friend's a gp in oncology and says I'm doing too much..and that I need some recovery time for my legs. It's just very addictive, the runners high! ;)):), and with music it's amazing! x

On 23/06/2018 at 00:21, Wonderer said:

Belanna, excellent idea, but why July? Why not start right now? No need to put things off until a certain time, u can make those changes now, I would be up for the challenge but thankfully I am in remission! I just had to bite the bullet, grit my teeth and work, work, work, and here I am! U can do it too! Good luck xxx

And btw I really like your last sentence above, from another Forum topic (about biting the bullet, gritting your teeth, and work, work, work.). As I am relating to this now. Thanku! 

I’ve never heard of that author but will  definitely give him a look up, thanks! I’ve just started a book called the traitors wife, it’s a prequel to a book I’ve  just finished called the heretics daughter by Kathleen Kent, it was based on real events, the Salem witch trials but set in the neighbouring town of Andover, , it’s about a real victim of the trials and has been written by a direct descendant, I picked it up in a pound shop a few weeks back, I’ve a habit of grabbing books if one catches my eye lol, it had me gripped and was a really good read so I looked up the author and found the prequel, so far it seems just as good! I know what u mean about liking to read what u want! Although in a book club you may read a book that u wouldn’t otherwise consider and enjoy it! Good for u doing all that running! Your obviously working really hard and it will pay off but ur right to give yourself a rest too! 

1 hour ago, Andrewc said:

And btw I really like your last sentence above, from another Forum topic (about biting the bullet, gritting your teeth, and work, work, work.). As I am relating to this now. Thanku! 

Awww I’m glad u liked that and that it resonated with u, that can only be a good thing!xx

Superb! That sounds like a good book I may give a go. Dean Koontz has been a best selling author for years in America writing hundreds of books but some people still regard him in 'the shadow' of Stephen King. I.e not quite as good. But I think I prefer him as his books have more 'knock out twists', and it mixes thriller, supernatural, horror, and conspiracy altogether sometimes. If you got time or want to please read 'Soul Survivor' by DK. I think you'll like it. I hope you do! 

Do you like cooking? I do..going to Sainsbury's later..I cook every night. Always eat fresh, and make double too for next night. Got any tips for a new recipe/meal you've made I might try?

Yeh it did resonate with me that last line, very nicely! x

Ha! And I just realised your name is 'Wonderer' and my profile pic here is of the Wonderer from the game Fallout 3! U played?

Andrew

9 hours ago, Wonderer said:

I’ve never heard of that author but will  definitely give him a look up, thanks! I’ve just started a book called the traitors wife, it’s a prequel to a book I’ve  just finished called the heretics daughter by Kathleen Kent, it was based on real events, the Salem witch trials but set in the neighbouring town of Andover, , it’s about a real victim of the trials and has been written by a direct descendant, I picked it up in a pound shop a few weeks back, I’ve a habit of grabbing books if one catches my eye lol, it had me gripped and was a really good read so I looked up the author and found the prequel, so far it seems just as good! I know what u mean about liking to read what u want! Although in a book club you may read a book that u wouldn’t otherwise consider and enjoy it! Good for u doing all that running! Your obviously working really hard and it will pay off but ur right to give yourself a rest too! 

Awww I’m glad u liked that and that it resonated with u, that can only be a good thing!xx

Ooohhh I’m feeling a bit embarrassed now that I’ve never heard of him and he has hundreds of books lol! Stephen king is a hard act to follow though! People like different things though so I’m sure plenty of people prefer his books to Stephen king and vice versa! Thanks, I’ll keep that one in mind! 

Yes I do like cooking, I like to bake and make fudge and other treats for my kids too! At the minute with it being so hot I’m enjoying mostly salads and pastas, my fave salad to make Is rocket leaf salad with halloumi, pomegranate, crushed walnuts and a drizzle of honey, it’s so nice if u like savoury and sweet together! 

Oh no I’m not a gamer but my boys would know that one lol! All the best people are wonderers ???

Edited by Wonderer
1 hour ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

sounds like you're doing really well Andrew and Wonderer! So good to hear! :)

Many thanks.

Yeh I just keep going doing my absolute best as possible. And making sure I get enough food/sleep/exercise, then things usually take their course..

20 hours ago, Wonderer said:

Ooohhh I’m feeling a bit embarrassed now that I’ve never heard of him and he has hundreds of books lol! Stephen king is a hard act to follow though! People like different things though so I’m sure plenty of people prefer his books to Stephen king and vice versa! Thanks, I’ll keep that one in mind! 

Yes I do like cooking, I like to bake and make fudge and other treats for my kids too! At the minute with it being so hot I’m enjoying mostly salads and pastas, my fave salad to make Is rocket leaf salad with halloumi, pomegranate, crushed walnuts and a drizzle of honey, it’s so nice if u like savoury and sweet together! 

Oh no I’m not a gamer but my boys would know that one lol! All the best people are wonderers ???

Great. Yeh I need to try baking too, never really done this before, even at home...

Even the book I picked up from the library and am now reading is about a Wonderer in the City. That's why I said it suits me well. :). And he lives in woodland, and I've had to survive in this environment before as well. And the book before (The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon- Dean Koontz) was about a girl doing the same thing too. Woods are scary places, trust me! I don't know how I survived those two nights when I had to. I just pretended I was Bear Grylls, making tracks, and burying belongings etc! Strange old times..but got a nice flat now. It's funny I've found a knack of finding positive and excitement during tough times. I guess it comes from basic survival instinct, and fighter attitude which my therapist rounded off our last session by saying.

Oh and by the way I liked what you wrote about therapy giving you the tools (above). This has helped, as I did tell my therapist that I have so many troubling issues including the compulsions that 20 sessions is impossible to break through everything. Also there could be days where I may have some 'off sessions' too. It's a hard system, right now in the nhs. But I did come out feeling very good still as I've made vast improvements from where I was, and you are right I have the tools. :)

Plus I do have good support from a few friends, and local medical teams (gps/pharmacy etc). They are very supportive. 

Anyway I hope all's good with you, and family. What have you been up to this week?

All the best, Andrew.

ps: And it's funny I've taken some comfort in a couple of things you've written now! Thank u.  

21 hours ago, Wonderer said:

And I'm in the library right now, and I LOVE IT! SO SUPER PEACEFUL. And gorgeous building like the book now too..

I'm going to try st Pancras library sometime soon too...incred building , been before, but hardly remember. Great place to work. And the building has huge character. MWAH! (Thats to the building btw!! ;) :). just very excited for libraries. Also I just got through a scene in my book where the main character meets a strange lost girl who shelters in a gothic library). I live in my books! Haha! :)

5 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

sounds like you're doing really well Andrew and Wonderer! So good to hear! :)

Thank u GBG! How are u doing?xx

2 hours ago, Andrewc said:

And I'm in the library right now, and I LOVE IT! SO SUPER PEACEFUL. And gorgeous building like the book now too..

I'm going to try st Pancras library sometime soon too...incred building , been before, but hardly remember. Great place to work. And the building has huge character. MWAH! (Thats to the building btw!! ;) :). just very excited for libraries. Also I just got through a scene in my book where the main character meets a strange lost girl who shelters in a gothic library). I live in my books! Haha! :)

Andrew you sound like u are just loving life today! Good for u! I’m going to google that library so I can have a look! With it being SUPER hot here today I am currently waiting on my sons pool to fill up so we can have some fun in the garden, watered the plants and gave the house a tidy so we can relax for the rest of today! I love the sunshine but am a little heat intolerant so can’t sit in it for long periods, but can pop in and out of it all day :) hope u have a lovely day xxx

14 minutes ago, Wonderer said:

Andrew you sound like u are just loving life today! Good for u! I’m going to google that library so I can have a look! With it being SUPER hot here today I am currently waiting on my sons pool to fill up so we can have some fun in the garden, watered the plants and gave the house a tidy so we can relax for the rest of today! I love the sunshine but am a little heat intolerant so can’t sit in it for long periods, but can pop in and out of it all day :) hope u have a lovely day xxx

Thanks a lot.

And yeh it's actually called the British Library, and is a historic building. I've been once a long, long time ago but hardly remember, and want to explore it. I'm hoping to find a secret passage there! to discover a mystery... ;)

Yeh I'm in a super mood as from my book and today coming to the library, I have developed an affection for them. I think the British library also contains a lot of historical documents too, like papers, records and stuff..very interesting..

I got memories too from a paddling pool when I was younger and my mum used to fill it for my brother and I, good times! And sprinkler fun too.. I've watered my plants today as well. I enjoy caring for them and watching them grow especially if I wake up to something miraculous..! And strangely enough I'm also an avid cleaner too, I love the feeling of seeing my work done, and somewhere adoring which I can live in. Then I tend to keep it that way. Neatness is an absolute  thumbs up for me!

Anyway have a lovely day as well. I'm just spending an hour more in the library then heading to the park to read in the glorious sun where its like a beach. And that's another thing I like lying back on the grass and looking at the sky from all angles realising how awe inspiring the world is, and I'm pretty small in comparison :) Then a bird passes or a plane.

On 27/06/2018 at 13:31, Andrewc said:

Thanks a lot.

And yeh it's actually called the British Library, and is a historic building. I've been once a long, long time ago but hardly remember, and want to explore it. I'm hoping to find a secret passage there! to discover a mystery... ;)

Yeh I'm in a super mood as from my book and today coming to the library, I have developed an affection for them. I think the British library also contains a lot of historical documents too, like papers, records and stuff..very interesting..

I got memories too from a paddling pool when I was younger and my mum used to fill it for my brother and I, good times! And sprinkler fun too.. I've watered my plants today as well. I enjoy caring for them and watching them grow especially if I wake up to something miraculous..! And strangely enough I'm also an avid cleaner too, I love the feeling of seeing my work done, and somewhere adoring which I can live in. Then I tend to keep it that way. Neatness is an absolute  thumbs up for me!

Anyway have a lovely day as well. I'm just spending an hour more in the library then heading to the park to read in the glorious sun where its like a beach. And that's another thing I like lying back on the grass and looking at the sky from all angles realising how awe inspiring the world is, and I'm pretty small in comparison :) Then a bird passes or a plane.

On 27/06/2018 at 13:05, Wonderer said:

Hi Wonderer 

Hope you are good .

Do you want to come to an ocd group this weekend?

It's completely free + refreshments set in lovely surroundings.

It's the 1st one I'm going to.

Andrew

2 hours ago, Andrewc said:

Hi Wonderer 

Hope you are good .

Do you want to come to an ocd group this weekend?

It's completely free + refreshments set in lovely surroundings.

It's the 1st one I'm going to.

Andrew

Hi Andrew, thanks for the invite but I live in Ireland! I hope u enjoy it and meet some nice people! I’ve mever been to an OCD group so definitely keep us posted on how it goes! Good luck xx

1 hour ago, Wonderer said:

Hi Andrew, thanks for the invite but I live in Ireland! I hope u enjoy it and meet some nice people! I’ve mever been to an OCD group so definitely keep us posted on how it goes! Good luck xx

Ireland! Sheesh! Wicked!

Yeh I hope I meet some people with can't stop compulsions so I can relate, and some ppl my age.

Also there better be good coffee! ;)

Thanks for the luck. I know the building. May even bump into some old psychiatrist s..

5 minutes ago, Andrewc said:

Ireland! Sheesh! Wicked!

Yeh I hope I meet some people with can't stop compulsions so I can relate, and some ppl my age.

Also there better be good coffee! ;)

Thanks for the luck. I know the building. May even bump into some old psychiatrist s..

Haha yes Ireland ?? ?, my therapist said to me he didn’t think I should go to a support group for OCD because people tend to fall into the trap of reassuring each other and making unhealthy friendships, he did say I should go as a speaker sometime as he thought I’d be a good example, but I didn’t do it as I’d be too shy to do that. Maybe you could be inspiring to others there, and maybe there will be people that are recovered and are just going to stay on track, make sure you don’t fall into any compulsive traps with others.

FREE coffee is good coffee ragardleas lol ?

hope all goes well xx

2 hours ago, Wonderer said:

Haha yes Ireland ?? ?, my therapist said to me he didn’t think I should go to a support group for OCD because people tend to fall into the trap of reassuring each other and making unhealthy friendships, he did say I should go as a speaker sometime as he thought I’d be a good example, but I didn’t do it as I’d be too shy to do that. Maybe you could be inspiring to others there, and maybe there will be people that are recovered and are just going to stay on track, make sure you don’t fall into any compulsive traps with others.

FREE coffee is good coffee ragardleas lol ?

hope all goes well xx

Quite right but no no I'm not even one for sympathy. I want to get out of this rut asap, and never look back. 100%. I'm just going to carry on with something small (monthly) for support, needed, and hopefully meet some people who can't stop physically doing something. Like touching their nose or whatever. I wanna be inspired and be inspiring too. I'm looking for encouragement and challenges as well.

Yeh u r right about coffee! But hopefully at least filter coffee! And a good biscuit! Or cake doubley better!!

I got to boss security tomorrow morning too!! I'm in command.

Xx