Hello

It takes me a long time to brush my teeth because of OCD. I have doubts whether I've missed an area even though I just brushed that 'area' a moment ago. I keep brushing the same area until it feels 'just right'.

Today I timed myself and it took me 30 minutes to brush my whole mouth with an electric toothbrush. With a manual it can take me an HOUR :wallbash:(I know right). This discourages me from brushing my teeth because it takes so long (sometimes get late for work) but I still brush them. I also keep reapplying the toothpaste. I know its supposed to take 2-3 minutes. It takes me this long because of OCD. I really don't know what to do? any suggestion/advice?

That's something a friend of mine used to do and caused a ton of permanent damage by over brushing. I think he lost a lot of enamel by doing this so by this safety behaviour, he caused more harm.. the irony of OCD. 

My electric toothbrush makes a noise every 30 seconds to remind me to move to another area of my mouth. After it’s done that 4 times, it makes a bigger noise to say I can stop. 30 seconds each for the top and bottom left and right. That’s all you need. Does your toothbrush do that? You need to force yourself to move it when it indicates to move, and turn it off when it tells you you’re done. Ignore the anxiety telling you you need to do more.

Guest OCDhavenobrain
5 hours ago, Atlantis said:

That's something a friend of mine used to do and caused a ton of permanent damage by over brushing. I think he lost a lot of enamel by doing this so by this safety behaviour, he caused more harm.. the irony of OCD. 

This. Also all this stress we undergo is a real risk.

10 hours ago, Silent mullet said:

I really don't know what to do? any suggestion/advice?

There is no easy answer other than to force yourself to brush your teeth for a normal amount of time (I think 2 minutes is generally considered about right.) I'm not saying it's easy to go against what your OCD is telling you - it isn't - but it is the only way.

I'd suggest cutting down maybe five minutes per day, and forcing yourself to stop at the alotted time.  Keep going until you get down to 2 minutes.  And then force yourself to stick to it, no matter how much anxiety you feel.

Good luck x

19 hours ago, kaheath80 said:

My electric toothbrush makes a noise every 30 seconds to remind me to move to another area of my mouth. After it’s done that 4 times, it makes a bigger noise to say I can stop. 30 seconds each for the top and bottom left and right. That’s all you need. Does your toothbrush do that? You need to force yourself to move it when it indicates to move, and turn it off when it tells you you’re done. Ignore the anxiety telling you you need to do more.

Hello

Thanks for replying. Today it took me 12 mins. I don't know how lol. I don't know how I'm gonna get it down to 2-4 minutes. Once I brush an area I feel like going back and brushing it again until it feels just right. The anxietys too much. The same with showering and washing hands. But any thanks for the encouragement.