Bottle of lotion in food cupboard for 2 weeks

I can't believe I did this.    I put a bottle of lotion in a cupboard where I store food.  This is scented lotion.  I know it is in a bottle, so the lotion didn't psychically contact the food, but in 26 degrees Celcius heat, and in a small cupboard, it seems possible that the fumes could affect the food.

When I worked at a grocery store as a teenager, we were instructed to bag non-food items separately.  Why is that, if not for this very reason? 

Should I toss the food? I ask myself what a "normal" person would do, but there is no answer for that because a normal person would not have been stupid enough to put a bottle of lotion in a food cupboard.  I hate that I do stupid things like this that cause me to have to go into OCD mode.  

Speaking as someone who does not have a contamination theme, don't bin the food. There is no reason to. Just take out the lotion and put it where you'd usually keep that kind of thing. Your "OCD mode" will just keep switching on more and more if you indulge in it's compulsions and binning the food is doing exactly that. Maybe even leave the lotion where it is for a few days alongside the food, what's the harm in that?

For a similar example, certain types of medicinal lotions have to be stored in the fridge (which contains food). I keep pain killers, liquid medicines etc. in a cupboard with the tea, coffee and biscuits. It's been so hot over the past week too. Maybe they'll contaminate my consumables, maybe not, I do it anyway and will keep doing it. Close the cupboard without binning the food then go and enjoy the sunshine. ☀️

Edited by Headwreck

Whatever our theme or manifestation of OCD, a connection between it and the world around us is what we must learn to expect. 

Then when that connection comes, we can recognise it, remember how the OCD works, and also remember not to connect with it or give it meaning. 

Then gently but firmly refocus away. 

Separately we can work our structured sessions of exposure and response prevention, until we learn there is no actual threat or fear and our anxiety gradually fades away. 

When we master these CBT techniques, the connections have nowhere to go and get stumped. And gradually intrusions ease off in power and frequency, until they no longer occur - and the original core belief of the OCD - in this case spread of contamination causing harm - will be defused and become benign. 

We can all get there. We have to listen to WE  (the therapists and knowledgeable others) NOT the OCD. 

I agree with others in this thread - do nothing, leave the bottle of lotion where it is, eat the food, it's all fine.  View this as ERP.

As someone without this theme of OCD, I would put a bottle of lotion in a cupboard with food and it wouldn't even cross my mind there's anything wrong with it! And I am still alive and kicking :)

1 hour ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I agree with others in this thread - do nothing, leave the bottle of lotion where it is, eat the food, it's all fine.  View this as ERP.

As someone without this theme of OCD, I would put a bottle of lotion in a cupboard with food and it wouldn't even cross my mind there's anything wrong with it! And I am still alive and kicking :)

Yes GBG this is another sound technique. 

Ask ourselves "what would a person without this theme do"  then look to emulate that.