Multiple disorders

Hi Bruces,

It's not at all uncommon for OCD to exist alongside other mental illnesses. 

You have taken the first step (well done!) in acknowledging you need help. 

Where are you at in terms of therapy, medication etc? 

Glad your making a start!!! I would start with whatever is having the biggest impact on your life.

I have all of the above plus aspergers. I worked on my OCD first and now that's improved I am working on aspergers. The other things just sort of fell into place.

Hi bruces, I know it’s overwhelming when you think of it like that, but the root of all those things is anxiety and once we start working on dealing with anxiety effectively they do all settle down together, I had OCD, GAD, panic disorder with aggarophobia and depression all at once and when I began to work on my OCD everything else improved too, the GAD can pop up now and again and the panic disorder lingered on for quite a while even after my ocd was settling but I’m on an even keel now, u can too xx

I think Bruces you need to stop thinking of the whole big picture and just think of one tiny thing you can take action on today.  It can be the smallest thing in the world, so small it is barely a thing, it could be stupid or wrong, just do something, one tiny step.  You don't have to climb an entire staircase all at once.  You just have to climb the first step.

Great advice from your fellow forum users bruces. 

We take a long time to build all our problems. But by chipping away in a structured fashion, we can successfully tackle them. 

One issue, one day, at a time :)

Hi Bruces. How many of the disorders have you been diagnosed with? OCD is classified as an anxiety disorder.  I would focus on the thing(s) that you have been diagnosed with in order to get targeted intervention. The NICE (which recommend Therapies  that have been empirically shown to be efficacious) guidelines give one form of talk therapy for OCD namely CBT. Albeit delivered in different guises. But with depression NICE recommends six different types of psychotherapy - there is no proof that any one is any better than any other one.  Depersonalisation tends to be a subcategory of other diagnoses. Is there a disorder called existential crisis? There are certainly existential therapists. So for successful intervention the money is on OCD. Is it your worse experience?

12 hours ago, bruces said:

I seem to have many issues,ocd,depression,anxiety,depersonalisation, existential crisis,GAD, where can I start with it all 

By stopping Googling and overgeneralising (multiple disorders). 

Several - or a few - is more likely the reality, not even many. 

And your depression is likely secondary depression, brought on by the OCD. 

When we challenge a thinking distortion in this way, we are "at where we can start with it all". 

That's a good place, then the OCD, and by achieving some success with that, the depression may likely lift. 

But wallowing in the "Slough of despond"  like you are doing will peg you further and further back. 

Edited by taurean

When my OCD and depression was at its worst I too had similar thoughts. But a conversation with yourself in your present mood is perhaps not such a good thing as it would probably be self confirming. An alternative is a conversation with a therapist. I think this would help a lot.  A conversation with Samaritans or helpline would also be good at this time.  I certainly did. Take care of yourself and have conversations with others.