Contamination fear

Ok so I have been doing well with fighting the fears but I am stuck with a fear of deet which I will be exposed to on holiday with my parents. Would such chemicals fade away rather than be cumulative?

Thank you.

Edited by daja

DEET as an insect repellent?

If you're just going on a normal holiday then it's a good opportunity to practise ERP and not give this fear too much attention. Do you think your parents will be concerned at all about this?

Well, people in many countries use insect repellent like DEET all the time. You're going to Turkey, right? Do you think the locals will be concerned about it? Yes, if you drank a whole bottle of it then that might be problem, but it's just your OCD making you fear something irrationally.

I think you're splitting hairs a little bit. Some people might use repellent, some people might not. The point is that you're going to be using a readily-available commercial product, not some industrial chemical that should only be handled by trained professionals. Just use it normally and try not to dwell on your OCD thoughts.

I hope you have a good trip! :)

I use insect repellent a lot. 

It comes from Boots in the form of either sunscreen including repellent, or "Repel" brand. 

It works well for me, but the repellent on its own does also smell a bit "repellent" :)

Daja I'd say it's only your OCD making you fear it. So what's the best way to deal with that? 

14 minutes ago, taurean said:

Daja I'd say it's only your OCD making you fear it. So what's the best way to deal with that? 

To do nothing about it.