My Psychiatrist says I don’t have OCD

Hi GBG thanks for the reply. I had psychosis in 2000 which they now call schizophrenia. I am ok as long as I take my medication.

When I started to have OCD symptoms I went to the psychiatrist (the one before my current one) and he put me on a SSRI which I stayed on for about 5 years.

Yes I am in the UK.

If you don't agree with him, then I would look into getting a second opinion. You had psychosis in 2000 and have been fine since then, so it seems strange to me that schizophrenia and delusions are his conclusion.

Hi Gemma i’ve had some hiccups since 2000. I don’t want to get a second opinion at this stage. We are going to try and lower one of my medications to see if it will make me sleep less so I will wait and see how that goes.

Hi Daja 

The ones that I saw of the issues you have laid open on the forum were typical of OCD fear of contamination. 

Can't see what that has got to do with delusions or schizophrenia. You may or may not have other thinking distortions and disorders as well, but contamination OCD should be pretty easy for s psychiatrist to spot.

Or maybe I'm a Dutch uncle (rather than an English uncle and great-uncle) :D

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Soo we have one more! I tell you those psychiatrists, i used to like them when i was younger. I don't any longer. 

A person who have a OCD-channel on youtube says that she has seen everything, people with OCD getting diagnosed with every condition there is. 

1 hour ago, taurean said:

But contamination OCD should be pretty easy for s psychiatrist to spot.

You would have thought so. I have checking OCD too with door handles and gas cooker nobs. If I don’t have OCD who does!

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I tell you man. I don't want to speak about psychiatry overall but when it comes to OCD it really do seems like you need to be certain that the expert you are going to really is an expert. I don't know how many psychiatrist who treat OCD-patients but i would think that it is less common than the opposite. Psychiatrist thinks in terms of medications. 

It is a little bit frustrating because there are many diagnosis when it comes to mental health but OCD is actually one of those you can treat, so it seems like such a WASTE that they can't get it right when there is a possibility

2000 that is 18 years ago, psychosis is actually not that rare, the prevalence over a life-time. I saw something like 10% of the population. 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
Guest OCDhavenobrain

That is good. That he is one of those driven one. I am not saying that you couldn't have schizophrenia, sure you can have that too. 
How much knowledge do he has about OCD?

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
Guest OCDhavenobrain

Well that is the only thing you need to know. Or let's see if i can put it in a better way - you need to reassure yourself that the expert you are going to actually is an expert on OCD if you want to get free from OCD. 

But if this is a real thing for you, that you are not really sure that he just don't know enough i have to say that you are reacting pretty good. I was panicking when i heard for the first time that i didn't have OCD. Actually i have heard it  more and more lately, maybe it is a test from them? I mean it is a pretty good test to tell the patient that he/she doesn't have OCD and see if he/she panicks. We all fear that the things we fear is real, so not having OCD tells us that it is real. We really need to not use this diagnosis of "I HAVE OCD" as reassurance, very important. 

I just accept I have OCD and try and diminish it as much as possible. Maybe I can speak to my community psychiatric nurse about it as I have done as she seems understanding.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

You could also try to get a real expert. There are actually people who are experts on this, even if it is hard to believe sometimes. You kinda deserve it man. You don't deserve to go year after year without an actual expert, there is no need for such a waste of your time.

Edited by OCDhavenobrain