My team lead made a few OCD jokes at work

He knows I have OCD, and for some reason he has made 3 jokes about OCD. He does not understand it is a serious condition-- he thinks it's just about wanting things perfectly in order.

I ignored it at first but since it keeps happening I'm going to say something. Just wanted advice-- should I let our manager know just so he is aware of what is going on?

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I see this a lot on the forum. Personally i don't get offended by such jokes, i would get offended if something bullied me because of one of my specific compulsions or something in that magnitude. Other thinks it should not be allowed to joke about such thing and it is ok too. 

I am curious what you mean with that you "need" to, do you feel like you let someone down if you don't? Do you feel guilt?

3 hours ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

I see this a lot on the forum. Personally i don't get offended by such jokes, i would get offended if something bullied me because of one of my specific compulsions or something in that magnitude. Other thinks it should not be allowed to joke about such thing and it is ok too. 

I am curious what you mean with that you "need" to, do you feel like you let someone down if you don't? Do you feel guilt?

Well I never said need, and no I don't feel guilt. I feel nobody should be making those types of jokes at work. I'm not going to make a halfway hollocaust joke to a survivor. It's not a good habit. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain
2 minutes ago, ineedahug said:

Well I never said need, and no I don't feel guilt. I feel nobody should be making those types of jokes at work. I'm not going to make a halfway hollocaust joke to a survivor. It's not a good habit. 

I see. But you need to feel certain of what you should do? I mean you ask us what you should do. My advice to you would be to make up your own mind and then act on it, without asking anyone. Would that make you anxious?

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
9 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

I see. But you need to feel certain of what you should do? I mean you ask us what you should do. My advice to you would be to make up your own mind and then act on it, without asking anyone. Would that make you anxious?

No it wouldn't actually-- just want to hear from other what they would do if they heard a joke about OCD. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain
6 minutes ago, ineedahug said:

No it wouldn't actually-- just want to hear from other what they would do if they heard a joke about OCD. 

I understand that. You need to hear what other people would do, because you are uncertain. My advice would be to make up your own mind on this and then act on it. It will probably be hard/very hard to do so, but try your hardest. And if you fail you fail. 

Good luck and hope you can do your best! i am out of here for the day. 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
3 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

I understand that. You need to hear what other people should do, because you are uncertain. My advice would be to make up your own mind on this and then act on it. It will probably be hard/very hard to do so, but try your hardest. And if you fail you fail. 

This isn't one of my themes actually, so no it isn't hard. Just thought I would ask. There are different reasons for asking these things besides uncertainty and reassurance. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Don't get stuck on what your themes are. OCD will use that certainty against you. 

I agree a person with OCD is not just about reassurance and uncertainty!

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
6 minutes ago, ineedahug said:

There are different reasons for asking these things besides uncertainty and reassurance. 

I agree this does not seem like an OCD question but a genuine question.

Not everything is about reassurance, OCDHavenobrain.

It is difficult to know when to challenge things.  I've let things slide at work before and then regretted it.  If you feel able to I would challenge it - only by education and awareness do people change.

4 hours ago, ineedahug said:

He knows I have OCD, and for some reason he has made 3 jokes about OCD. He does not understand it is a serious condition-- he thinks it's just about wanting things perfectly in order.

I ignored it at first but since it keeps happening I'm going to say something. Just wanted advice-- should I let our manager know just so he is aware of what is going on?

I'd have a quiet word with him...use it as an opportunity as Ginger says to educate.

If he continues after knowing the full facts...then, I think I'd raise it with your manager.

I have a friend who knows I suffer from OCD and not that long ago posted on Facebook ‘life must be hell for a pedantic proofreader with OCD!’ Something like that anyway. It really annoyed me but I didn’t say anything. But mostly because he’s a very argumentative person and I knew he’d just accuse me of having no sense of humour. 

1 hour ago, kaheath80 said:

I have a friend who knows I suffer from OCD and not that long ago posted on Facebook ‘life must be hell for a pedantic proofreader with OCD!’ Something like that anyway. It really annoyed me but I didn’t say anything. But mostly because he’s a very argumentative person and I knew he’d just accuse me of having no sense of humour. 

Does he crack wise about people with bipolar, schizophrenics? OCD is just as serious as those maladies. None deserve to be joked about.

I always lesson people when they do it. And i always end it with: it is a dead serious matter, that can be so serious that people kill themselfs. It has nothing to do with «cleaning a little to much.»

»you wouldent say you had cancer only because you were bold would you!!??»

and it always leave people asking for forgivness, and they never joke about it again. ?