What random intrusive thoughts do you have?

They say everyone has intrusive thoughts and I really think this is true. Everyone has random, bizarre and downright mystifying thoughts wafting into their brain 24/7. 

I think it's good for us OCD sufferers to understand this.  The only difference between us and non-sufferers is that non-sufferers do not latch onto these thoughts.

My OH said she gets thoughts about all kinds of things, e.g. driving into traffic, or jumping off a bridge, or whatever.  OCD sufferers get these thoughts and interpret them as meaningful, and start carrying out compulsions to gain relief from the anxiety this brings.  Non-OCD sufferers shrug their shoulders, think "how random" and the thought floats on past (if indeed it's noticed at all.)

So I wondered: what intrusive thoughts do you get which are not to do with OCD?

I am packing for a holiday at the moment and got the thought "what if I've accidentally stashed cocaine in my suitcase?"

Some others:

- what if I strangle my cat?

- what if I kiss my boss during a meeting?

- what if I take my top off in the office?

- what if I randomly lose control and steal a car?

None of these thoughts caused me particular distress but they could have done if my OCD latched onto them!

So what intrusive thoughts do others have (not OCD ones)?

Edited by gingerbreadgirl

Hey GBG, 

Great thread. I think it's a huge thing for OCD sufferers to know that each and every person gets intrusive thoughts. The relief I felt when I realised this, I can't put in to words. Genuinely thought I was the only person in the world. 

As for your question...I think the one the sticks in my head for today is this...

I had been doing some washing up, let the water away when I was done and got the thought "what if I rammed my fingers down the holes of the plughole and they got stuck?" 

How random! 

This is a really interesting thread ?

I've got a few that come as thoughts or urges. Some of them I have very often.

• Urge to drop my phone or my keys down drains in the street gutters. 
  • Urge to push pens/pencils into my eyes. (?!) 
  • Urge to walk into oncoming traffic or jump in front of a train.
  • "I want to shout that he/she is a [insert insult here]" (about complete strangers who have done nothing to me!) 
  • Grabbing the steering wheel when someone is driving. 

Just a few but all pretty full on! 

Edited by Headwreck
34 minutes ago, Ironing Maiden said:

i've had the '-what if I kiss my boss/someone at work during a meeting?' one, no idea why though...my boss is annoying! :blink:

This seems to be a really common one, I got it about a doctor once hahahahaha.

Hi,

This is really very interesting, I also get many random thoughts which don't bother me at all but I realize (only now thanks to your thread) that they are OCD themes for others:

• what if I hurt my cats/what if I don't let them inside any more
  • what if I drove into oncoming vans
  • what if I shout out insults
  • sexual thoughts involving people I actually don't like
  • what if I stole the chocolate in the shop

But since they are no OCD thoughts they don't worry me at all

Guest OCDhavenobrain

When i was kid i got thoughts that i wanted to have sex with a relative, and it made me really anxious because i couldn't tell! 
I actually don't get those thoughts any longer, or even worse, it is always me being the one who recieve the unjustice (it bothers me that it is this way, does it mean that i am self-centered, maybe!). 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

I remember starting a thread like this a long time back and it's a very interesting exercise.  Everyone should write down these "random" thoughts they have every day (not OCD thoughts) and just realise how many nonsensical thoughts do cross our mind.

21 minutes ago, Caramoole said:

I remember starting a thread like this a long time back and it's a very interesting exercise.  Everyone should write down these "random" thoughts they have every day (not OCD thoughts) and just realise how many nonsensical thoughts do cross our mind.

I honestly think if we made a point of writing down every intrusive thought we'd be quite taken aback by how many we actually get but are able to dismiss because they don't relate to our OCD theme! I read a piece from a therapist once, she did this very exercise, writing down every intrusive thought, to show her clients with OCD that everyone gets them, OCD sufferer or not. 

1 hour ago, Caramoole said:

I remember a similar thread like this, I remember finding it enlightening seeing what random garbage people's brains come up with!

When I was 3, my baby brother died aged 3 months. I’ve been thinking about him more lately and because I was too young to remember, I sometimes think ‘what if I killed him?’ I think my OCD could easily latch onto that, but even thought the thought makes me think, it’s not OCD as I don’t do compulsions and just dismiss it.

Thank you x it’s ok, I’m 38 now so it was a long time ago. I’m really only properly processing it now as my parents never talk about him. My therapist says this event is behind most of my mental illness, so it’s good that I’m thinking about it all.

Anyway not the point of the post, sorry! I guess I was trying to illustrate that someone could have that thought and obsess over it, but I haven’t. 

When we look at a collection of the intrusions, it's easy to see how distressing they would be if they were responded to with belief. 

I learned that a good way to look at them would be "how would a non-sufferer,  or sufferer without this theme, respond if experiencing them?" 

The answer is of course they wouldn't respond - they would see them as silly, and simply ease them away. 

3 hours ago, taurean said:

When we look at a collection of the intrusions, it's easy to see how distressing they would be if they were responded to with belief. 

I learned that a good way to look at them would be "how would a non-sufferer,  or sufferer without this theme, respond if experiencing them?" 

The answer is of course they wouldn't respond - they would see them as silly, and simply ease them away. 

I think this is the purpose of the exercise.....to see how many peculiar, random thoughts pass through our/everbodies heads all of the time

If I were to make one difference to the thread (or its title.....and I don't know for sure what GBG intended) but iit would be to replace "Intrusive thoughts" with "Odd, random, silly" thoughts.  For me they don't intrude in any negative way......they just flit through with no concern but show how often random, daft thoughts do actually occur for everyone

What did I think today?

That I might jump in the river

That I might tell the lad serving in the Co-Op that his hair looked ridiculous

That perhaps I didn't love my late Dad (who I adored)

None caused me distress or concern

22 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

When I'm out in public i get the thought that I'm going to place my hand on a woman's rear end.

But does it cause you any distress or is it just a random thought that flirts through your mind?

3 hours ago, Caramoole said:

If I were to make one difference to the thread (or its title.....and I don't know for sure what GBG intended) but iit would be to replace "Intrusive thoughts" with "Odd, random, silly" thoughts.  For me they don't intrude in any negative way......they just flit through with no concern but show how often random, daft thoughts do actually occur for everyone

yes this is exactly what I intended :) maybe you could change it for me...?