What random intrusive thoughts do you have?

1 hour ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

One thing I find is that I get less "random" thoughts when in the middle of an OCD episode... my brain constantly gravitates towards whatever is distressing me.  (Or maybe I only notice the distressing ones.)

I think that is typical of what happens when in OCD. 

My latest therapist explained this really well. The analogy  aligns our thinking to how we see.

In normal thinking thoughts drift into vision, and will make their way into focus. We consider them momentarily, then discard them - they ease into peripheral vision, then out of sight. 

But an OCD intrusion pops into view, our influenced mind brings it into focus, then holds it in focus; at the same time we react behaviourally to the thought, give it belief and meaning. 

And the thought remains in focus, leading to us responding with carrying out compulsions to seek to gain relief (but in fact they just strengthen the power of the intrusions). 

To break the "Brainlock"  that holds the intrusion in focus, we need to NOT respond to the thought with belief and meaning, not commence carrying out compulsions - and learn to see it as OCD then gently but firmly ease it out of focus and into peripheral vision at the same time refocusing to something beneficial and involved. 

Along with this, we need to learn the cognitive side of CBT, and how to carry out correct sessions of exposure and response prevention, to take the power and meaning out of intrusions and bring down our anxiety response to them. 

This is how we sufferers can apply CBT therapy to the OCD. 

I now get few OCD intrusions, and if I do they don't stick in focus, and are eased away and out of sight like any  other silly thought.

Edited by taurean

Good question. Ones that are aligned with my OCD theme of harm, and would have formerly resulted in obsessive thinking and focus, compulsive response and resultant anxiety. 

It strikes me that the way intrusive thoughts are used in the OCD community refers to thoughts which we would not publicly admit to or reveal in a court of law.  

That's it GBG. That's how CBT works. 

I was one of those that used to decry "but the intrusions are all around us. 

I spent the bulk of yesterday travelling by bus train and taxi, then walking around the shops in a detached beautifully mindful state, along with a two-hour medical test. 

I have been on those medicals in the past (paid for by my Employer)  where I was experiencing constantly-repeating OCD intrusions which made me very tired and anxious and affected the test results. 

Yesterday however the results were normal and I was laughing and joking with the ladies carrying out the medical. 

And at no time during the day out did my mind, as it used to do, scan for - then home in on - a trigger ( which would yesterday have been" all around me ").

We can all aspire to making and completing this journey through CBT therapy - but it is we that must put in the hard work. 

I was pleased yesterday with the results of the medical and the invaluable advice I obtained - and equally thrilled that that OCD "scanner"  had remained packed away and out of commission :)

Edited by taurean
10 minutes ago, Angst said:

It strikes me that the way intrusive thoughts are used in the OCD community refers to thoughts which we would not publicly admit to or reveal in a court of law.  

I'm not sure I totally agree with this - the intrusive thought of "maybe the door isn't locked" is not one I would be troubled to admit to, but has nonetheless caused me great distress in the past.

Pretty much any random thought can be seized upon by OCD - and I suppose the point of this thread is to demonstrate that we all have millions of bizarre and random thoughts throughout the day, and these are no different to OCD ones other than how we react to them.

8 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I'm not sure I totally agree with this - the intrusive thought of "maybe the door isn't locked" is not one I would be troubled to admit to, but has nonetheless caused me great distress in the past.

Pretty much any random thought can be seized upon by OCD - and I suppose the point of this thread is to demonstrate that we all have millions of bizarre and random thoughts throughout the day, and these are no different to OCD ones other than how we react to them.

:clapping::goodpost:

“.I'm going to put a fork in the microwave”

”I’ve taken one of my dogs tablets”

”how strange humans actually look”

”We’re going to crash and die”

actually there’s so many I’d be here all day lol. 

Today I've had... 

• "What if we are ants?"
  • "My dentist might think I've got leprosy" 
  • "What if I shave all the skin off my legs and it rolls up like ice cream" 
  • "The shower is going to electrocute me"

Funny to read everyone's thoughts, I like this thread. 

7 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

One thing I find is that I get less "random" thoughts when in the middle of an OCD episode... my brain constantly gravitates towards whatever is distressing me.  (Or maybe I only notice the distressing ones.)

This is so true. Relate to this 100%. Nothing else matters, just completely absorbed in the flavour of the month(s) - or year(s)! 

I haven't been having so many of any kind of silly thought recently. 

Why I wonder?  

Maybe the mindfulness helps - where I slip my mind into stasis. I did this yesterday on a journey to Milton Keynes. 

Through each segment of the trip I was able to operate mindfully - walking along to the bus stop, smelling the flowers, noting other people and animals, the architecture, gardens and colours of the brickwork. 

The bus passes through the Sixfields leisure and shopping complex, passed the amazing Franklin's Gardens stadium of Northampton Saints Rugby, then curls round over the railway to the train station. 

On the train I allowed my mind simply to take in the view from the window - nothing more. 

And so on..... 

In the mindful state we are not considering problems, seeking solutions, and open for business and whatever random thoughts prevail in the brain's active state. 

It was interesting in the stress and resilience segment of the medical yesterday that I had low stress tolerance observed, and have been given some additional methods to utilise to aid my resilience to stressors and other challenges. Really beneficial ideas for me to build into daily living - not just when feeling emotional or anxious. 

Edited by taurean

:lol:  This is making me smile

Looking out of my bedroom window - What if I poured custard on that man walking below?  I mean, why custard?

What if I can't remember where I parked the car?

I might pull that geranium out of a neighbours window box

My wife is good at spontaneous thinking. 

When I am toiling away at the various DIY jobs around the home, she might suddenly say (without considering my feelings) " don't you think we should get a man in? " :haha:

Edited by taurean
2 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

haha I get this one.  We do though!

Lol I was looking at my sons very big beautiful eyes and suddenly thought, eyes are weird, we are weird looking, we only think we aren’t weird looking because we’re used to it, were just big massive alien like creatures lol. 

Out shopping earlier “I’m going to peep in the changing rooms” lmaooo

Edited by Wonderer

Don't know if this is classed as OCD or not but I sometimes arrive at work, park the car and think

- what if I forget how to drive by home time? which feet press which pedals? oh no what if I can't remember? I would have to be towed home!

Edited by Avo