OCD episodes, durations and cutting them dead

Hi. 

My last "worry" went on for four years constantly day in day out. I did have a few days 'respite' here and there where I would worry about something else (such as being sacked or let go from my job even though I had done nothing wrong, that I had committed a terrible act when I was younger, worrying I was pregnant even though there was no reason to think I was, etc.) but these only lasted a day or two before the main worry returned. I've had my current worry for 9 months now. The old worry which cost me four years is long forgotten and seems pathetic now. 

Just curious, how long do obsessions or episodes last for you (if you still have them of course)? If you no longer have them, why do you think that is, is the pull no longer as strong? What has been your longest episode and what kept you stuck for so long? Are you able to recognise when an episode is creeping in? 

Edited by Headwreck
Guest OCDhavenobrain

First one on and off for 3-4 years  second one 6 years. I have never ever ruminated every day for years, i always get periods, first it was weeks but i can see that it has increased to months in some cases. 

I don't think you should try to analyze it too much, the only thing you need to know is that if you feed it - it grows and stay there.

Take care time for bed

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
13 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

First one on and off for 3-4 years  second one 6 years. I have never ever ruminated every day for years, i always get periods, first it was weeks but i can see that it has increased to months in some cases. 

I don't think you should try to analyze it too much, the only thing you need to know is that if you feed it - it grows and stay there.

Take care time for bed

It is sad that they can last so long. Scary too. Wondered how others have been affected time scale wise, just curiosity rather than OCD driven question (for a change). :)

Take care, wishing for an easier day for us all tomorrow. Goodnight!