Totally overwhelmed, please help.

My daughter was diagnosed with OCD when she was she was a teenager and has been taking Seroxat 60mg for years. The OCD was managed quite successfully apart from some specific triggers.. She is now 35 years old. For the last six months she has complained that this SSRi was no longer effective and the instrusive thoughts were becoming much worse. She was also having problems with her partner and is now convinced that he has given her HIV and genital herpes. Things were so bad that her psychiatrist suggested that maybe Seroxat was not working as effectively as it should be. She endured 3 months of sheer hell with terrible side effects coming off the Seroxat and the new SSRi after 8 weeks is not working. She has now come back to live with us in a different health board and I am shocked by her deterioration, as we wait to see a new psych and mental health team. The OCD is in complete control, no relief from thoughts of HIV and genital herpes. She is distancing herself from us, staying in her bedroom for most of the day, refuses to leave house alone, constantly checking, can not engage with CBT as anxiety levels are too high and can not use any self help books. My husband can not cope, so I am her carer 24/7. 3 lives are being destoyed here and a family being ripped apart. We were so close, but she is in such turmoil that I can not reach her. She will not allow me to give her a hug or chat to her. I do not understand is all she says. I have never seen OCD with such power before and I don't know how to help her. Everything I do is wrong. I am so upset and exhausted. I am in my late sixties and retired and my husband has a heart condition. I really worry for the future. It needs professionals to take over, but so little help or expertise in our area of Wales. Can anyone identify with what I have written? Anything that works? It breaks my heart to see my daughter like this, I hardly recognise her and I so miss her bubbly laugh.

Hi there, 

I am so sorry to hear how difficult things are for you and your family right now. 

I too was diagnosed in my teens. I was well for a long time before relapsing 2 years ago. I'm still recovering but I'm much better than I was. 

I was hospitalised in a psych ward and was in a really bad way. I'm not saying that to scare you but to show you that I'm proof it can get better. 

Would your daughter consider joining the forum? 

What is her gp saying in terms of getting help for her? 

Hello Nicole,

I really feel for you. It's so hard for you as you are doing all the supporting on your own and you can't reach her. Stay strong and try to get some time for yourself. I hope she can get to see the new mental health team soon. I can't offer much advice I'm afraid Nicola but I just wanted to tell you to stay strong and she'll realise what an amazing mother you are, when she gets a little better. It is an evil illness and can really affect close family members as everyday life is so trying when ocd takes over. The good thing is that your daughter realised that the treatment was no longer working, then ocd got out of control but she did realise and is wanting to get better through the help of doctors. 

You see, my husband suffers from contamination ocd, he is no longer in denial but still refuses to seek help. It has destroyed our marriage to be honest and it has broken me. I stay strong for my son and my job is keeping me going too but it is so trying at home. I can relate to you and I am so  sorry you are living this. Take good care of you, Nicole. I hope your daughter get to see the psych soon.  

Cathy

Thank you for your kind replies. It gives me some hope. What really worries me is that even if the psych prescribes another different med, which decreases her anxiety levels, the wait for CBT is over a year and I know  that severe OCD is only treated successfully when both meds and therapy work in harmony. No OCD unit in Wales and I am concerned that the professionals do not have the necessary expertise in this area. If the NHS path proves futile, I am perfectly prepared to spend my savings in the private sector for  intensive therapy at an OCD Centre in England, but where? Any recommendations? It has to be beneficial, as I can not afford to waste money.

Nicole20

Sorry to hear about your daughter, I am also an ocd sufferer and can understand fully what your daughter must be going through

I am not a doctor but for anxiety conditions like ocd, "anti-psychotic" meds are also prescribed (Again ocd sufferers are in no way psychotic , but this med helps the anxiety)

I have been on the "anti-psychotic" called Olanzapine for several years now taking a small dose and I am 80% better mainly with this med, only problem it is very likely to give significant weight gain, you could talk to a doctor about these types of meds for your daughter, there are others other than Olanzapine, I also take a small dose of Prozac an SSRI, again these meds have been a life saver

Edited by SnookerTable

Hi Nicole,

How are things going since you posted last? 

You say your daughter is currently unable to engage with CBT, but has she had CBT in the past? How successful was it at the time? 

Are you taking some time out to look after yourself and your husband? It's important not to allow the person with OCD to bring normal life to a standstill (If you can! I know how demanding OCD can be.) Aim to continue your normal lives around having your daughter at home with you, wherever possible. This is not only good for your health, but normalises her world at the same time. 

Have you heard any more from the local health team?