Medication & some life questions

Hi thanks for taking the time to read. I'm onto week 3 of fuloxitine everyday I am shaking so bad you know like the shakes when you have a strong coffee. it's annoying just wondering if this was a side effect ? I've also had ringing in ears unsure if that is to do with medication. I've barely had a ocd thought so I'm guessing the tablets are working however my OCD comes in waves when I go through anxiety patches the thoughts follow. I'm just abit down at the minute at the fact I've ended up back on medication which by the way is for anxiety I haven't spoke to a doctor about OCD ever and I'm 100 percent I have pure o. I just think it's a shame that I am that scared to ask for help for judgment and won't even go on to have a 2nd child because I'm worried about my mental health afterwards. I know now also that yes I have OCD and I also know I cope myself but worried having another child could effect me mentally I worry about cracking up (another OCD thought maybe?) sorry for the long post any advice is so appreciated x

Hi Lauren! 

Want to let you know I’ve read your post and I’m sorry to hear your life seems to be filled with worries at the moment. I know how difficult it can be at times, but please know that things can also change for the better and you are in charge of that. Posting here and opening up about your feelings is a good step. Maybe it could give you some courage to also speak to your GP about how your feeling? Medication is something that might help, but possibly you would also benefit from seeing a CBT therapist? Letting the anxiety rule your life and make decisions for you, such as if you should have another child or not, doesn’t sound very good. You are stronger than you think! Of course a pregnancy and having a baby might be demanding (and for me my anxiety usually kicks in during stressful periods and life-changing events) but if we learn how to treat our anxiety and be kind to ourselves we can cope with any situation life throws at us.

Hi thanks so much for taking the time out your day to give me advice like I say I really appreciate it. You're right it totally is stopping me and making the decisions for me. I keep thinking about giving my child a sibling and would love to experience that again I have a lovely partner great home and he works a good job whilst I run my own small buisness but I put myself off due to negative thinking. just scared about coping after a baby incase my mental health spirals out of control. Not that it ever has to the point I can't cope it's just the worry. It's silly how much life worries I have in my head. I always get put off going to GP incase they don't understand me and maybe contact someone about my parenting which I couldn't be a better parent if I tried I'd hate anyone to think different trying to explain my unwanted thoughts and worrys in my head. 

When visiting your GP you don’t have to tell them in detail what your thoughts and worries are. You can say that you keep having intrusive thoughts which lead to anxiety and mental compulsions, that this is now something that you cannot handle on your own and that you’ve heard that CBT is the treatment recommended for it. They will not think you’re a bad parent for seeking professional help. On the contrary it is brave of you to ask for help, something that both you and your family will benefit from. Before having my baby I had a huge relapse with my OCD. It got to the point where I was scared to go to the hospital during labour in case they would take my baby away from me. Some weeks after she was born the anxiety was so high, I’ve never experienced OCD that strong before. But you know what, I pushed through it and today I feel really good. Looking back I can’t understand how I could have felt the way I did. My baby girl is a blessing and she’s worth it all. So, even if you’d have another child and that you’d get really anxious and that it would be difficult post-labour I’m sure you’d get through it and come out stronger after it. 

Edited by hedvig

You need to take meds for 12 weeks to see effects & expect your OCD to rise until that time. Also, consider side effects, e.g. 

"We now have unequivocal evidence from a wide range of side effects that Prozac-type drugs impair the normal functioning of the brain," Glenmullen says.
He found reports of tics and other neurological side effects, like drug-induced Parkinsonism, associated with SSRIs. "The tics include lip smacking, lip puckering, fishlike kissing motions, and pelvic thrusting," Glenmullen says. "They are involuntary, disfiguring, and can be very noticeable--and may persist long after the drug is stopped. This is the dread side effect in psychiatry, and it can indicate brain damage. Such reactions are not rare. Neurologic agitation is estimated to occur in 10 to 25 percent of patients, and muscle spasms in 10 percent."
Harvard magazine.

'Rigorous studies have shown that the placebo effect accounts for most—at least 64 percent, and perhaps much more—of SSRIs’ benefits.' (Harvard) 'In more than half of the 47 trials used by the Food and Drug Administration to approve the six leading antidepressants on the market, the drugs failed to outperform sugar pills, and in the trials that were successful, the advantage of drugs over placebo was slight. ' (Motherjones)

Handy, I agree with the 1st paragragh you wrote.  The rest not so much...

SSRIs take a long time to work.  Coming to a conclusion before 3 months is premature.

In my case, SSRI plus Buspirone has been miraculous.  I really have almost zero anxiety/OCD.  Without these drugs, I was, and still would be, a total basket case.

Give the med time.  You may need to increase dosage to respond.  I require 30mg Escitalopram.  In my case, the difference between 20mg and 30mg was huge.

Best of luck, Jim :>}