Contamination ocd again

Hi everyone, 

I suffer from contamination ocd have done for thirty odd years, it has come back after some time with a vengeance, I don’t know why, I went to stay with my parents to give my hubby a break, as he said he couldn’t cope, but all I did was stress my elderly parents out. I feel so ashamed and selfish now about this, I’m trying to do expose therapy, it’s so scary though, I just give in and say I can’t, how did you recover polar bear, my hubby is running out of patience with me. , as is everyone I think, do I need to give up on my marriage and live alone? Would appreciate advice please. Xx

Hi Madchoc :)

I have contamination OCD issues too and the answer is CBT. Have you had CBT before? Have you read any of the self-help books like Break free from OCD? 

Exposure therapy is hard but it's easier when you understand why and what you are challenging and how it can go wrong, basically a framework, and that's what CBT gives you. 

It's really hard but you will get your confidence back. You just need a few successes and you'll feel loads better. When you're bogged down in OCD it can seem like things are hopeless, but they aren't, you can turn things around much quicker than you think. 

Have you looked into getting therapy? 

Hi Gemma7 I am seeing a therapist once a week, but find it hard to stay mo5ivated when he’s not around, my dad has broken a bone in his back, my mum is very stressed and I have obviously and ashamedely stressed her out more, they are in their late seventies and I should be there for them. How can I be stronger, I’m also really missing my grandchildren, this Ocd has a lot to answer for doesn’t it. X I wish there was a quicker cure, and wish I could pay for more treatment, I want a quick fix, do you take any meds yourself, I take paroxitine and propanol for the ocd,

Edited by Madchoc

No i don't take medication for my OCD.

I agree it would be great if there was a quick fix but unfortunately there isn't. You have to start applying what you learn in therapy when your therapist isn't there. Have you talked to your therapist about why you struggle when you aren't together? Have you got a step by step set of things you want to tackle and achieve? What you need is a sense of control and structure because OCD can definitely make you feel like everything is out of control and that there's no hope. So I think it might be good if you talk with your therapist about what small things you feel able achieve or have a go at overcoming and hopefully they'll help you get there.

I'm so sorry that you're struggling, and that you feel worried about what affect you're having on everyone. It's important not to be too hard on yourself, OCD is really hard and you wouldn't choose this. Try to be compassionate with yourself, we've all been there x

The anser with this type of ocd. Start small really small. Ive struggled for years with that when i was Young im free today allmost.  When i was Young i could wash my hands thirty Times’ after going to toilet I was scared sometimes to touch others. The answer is think what you are scared about? Think logical like. What am I really think gonna happen If for example i touch this door-handle. Your logic brain will think nothing maybe there are some bacterias there. Ooh we have a immune defensiv system in our bodies. Your feelings are gonna feel ooh i can´t touch that or this. Trying to go against your fears and feelings. Begin today just do it once even If itˋs very hard. Maybe next time you can try to do the thing you have fear of twice. So think logical what am i really afraid of? What am i really logical think gonna happen? Go against your fears. At last have patience patience.  Madchoc If  you want you can write to me anytime. I hope to hear from you. I Will give you some more and many more advice. Hope peace happiness to you.

Edited by Noperfection93