Differentiating between quirkiness/anal retentiveness & OCD

Hey guys,

As someone who struggles alot with perfectionism OCD, whether that's with my television being the right way, having a perfect pillow to sleep on, symmetry, etc., I find it hard for me to differentiate between what's just pickiness & what's an anxiety disorder.

For example, let's say I'm really into audio. I'm an "audiophile" & love having great sound quality. I'm a nerd over it, actually :P . Recently, when I go to be knit picky with my audio settings, I think to myself "Wait, is this my OCD or am I just being my weird self?" It's confusing because I know we aren't supposed to enable the OCD by giving in & "fixing" or "perfecting" as a compulsion. In fact, some exposures center around making audio settings (or any other thing) off center on purpose for therapy assignments & then to sit with that discomfort until it fades away. My question is, what if we really do like things lined up right & are a perfectionist outside of the OCD?

I'm not trying to justify compulsions or giving into them. I'm only pointing out where it can get really tricky & want to know if anyone else can relate/how you cope with it. What are some techniques that have helped and/or your philosophy on pushing past OCD when it tackles your self worth/uniqueness like this?

I know OCD can really rev up when it comes to being different/quirky/your own person. I know it can, because I've experienced a dark hole of questioning if I was living right according to "therapy standards" & the "right" way to do treatment. I'm doing better now & beginning to see that we can be our own person & tackle OCD too. It's a struggle. I'm learning to step out of the box & breathe.

Interested in hearing your thoughts! :)

-Sad