Stopping a compulsion

Hi all. Just wondering I've had pretty much the same compulsion for about 6 years now it's basically a way of me testing myself to see if I am capable of my thoughts. I know it's something I've got to stop as I'll never get rid of the obsessive thinking while I'm doing it but it's so difficult. Is it feasible just stop a compulsion after that length of time or is it too deep rooted now do people think? Thank you

Don’t let the amount of time put you off. I have a compulsion regarding my relationship and I’ve been doing it for the whole time I’ve been with my wife, which is 9 years. It’s hard, yes, but I’m still trying hard to stop the compulsion.

It might help to break it down into smaller chunks, if possible.

I did the same compulsions for nearly 40 years straight. Now i don't. There's no magic involved. It's a lot of hard work, determination and trial and error.

Stop analyzing trying to stop. Instead, just stop. You'll fail but you do it again and again and again.

Thank you for the replies. I've cut right down on compulsions today. Strangely I do feel a little better for it just a sense of uneasiness as opposed to crippling anxiety although I know it can't be that easy but I'll try to keep at it

Hi Carlleo

Compulsions can definitely be got rid of after a long time.  I had a checking compulsion/burglary fear for most of my life (since I was a kid) and I had so many compulsions going on around this.  When I moved to my current house I was so nervous about it and I just decided enough was enough.  I really went for it with CBT and ERP and I honestly would say the compulsions went to about 10% in the space of maybe 3 weeks.  it was pretty much miraculous.  I can honestly say I feel almost totally unafraid of burglary now and generally do no more checking than the average person (apart from the occasional blip). 

I'm not saying all obsessions are like this because there have been others I've struggled more to shift but I just wanted to tell you that in case it helps x