Why do I do stupid things that trigger my OCD

I can't figure out why I do things I really don't want to do-- things I know better than to do.  Today I cut a banana that was in a plastic container.  The knife did touch the bottom and caused a little scratch.  I debated throwing out the food since there could be a plastic shaving, but I didn't want to react prematurely, so I put it away in the fridge.  I decided later that I should just toss it since saving $2 wasn't worth the risk of ingesting plastic.  I took it out, and thought "well I can at least eat the food on the opposite side."  So I did.  Then I realized-- after putting it away and taking it out I have no idea which side was which.  I could have eaten the side where there might be a plastic shaving.  

It is possible a bit of plastic came off right? Like if you create a scratch it with a knife, and it shows a little indentation, it seems reasonable to assume some plastic either came off-- it didn't just disappear.

I realize this all sounds like OCD-- with all the hypotheticals-- but eating plastic can be dangerous, and it is possible there was a very small plastic shaving.  It would have been so small that it probably would be dissolved by my stomach and ingested.

So now I'm thinking I sabotaged my health-- all because of doing two stupid things right on top of each other-- cutting fruit while on a plastic container, and then eating the fruit.

I realize most people probably would not worry about a tiny piece of plastic that they may have ingested, but I don't believe a normal person would have been stupid enough to cut off a part of a banana while it was in a plastic container.  I wasn't thinking.   

How can I behave like a normal person when I'm already doing things a normal person wouldn't do? How do I do stupid things when I know better than to do them? 

Wow, you're being really hard on yourself over nothing. I've definitely done that before because I'm too lazy to pull out a cutting board and not thought twice about it. Neither of us are stupid for that. Normal people absolutely would do stuff like cut a banana in a plastic container without even considering the ramifications. Same with eating the banana- seriously, you didn't do anything wrong. And your health is going to be fine, I doubt you ate any plastic and even if you did, an amount that small won't hurt you! 

I can definitely relate to this.

With my contamination OCD, I would (and still sometimes do) get really annoyed with myself whenever I made a contamination 'mistake' (as illustrated by most of the threads I've started...). I often doubt that I'm like other people and my OCD sometimes manages to convince me that I'm a terrible person for being so careless.

But it's just our OCD again lying to us. After hanging out with a bunch of my friends over time, I realised that other people were a lot less careful and 'perfect' than I thought!

In your case, although I don't know if I've been in exactly the same position, I'm sure I've been careless and accidentally ingested a bit of plastic on many occasions.

Stop being so hard on yourself - if anything, this event was good as an example of exposure. You didn't do anything wrong, and there's no need to beat yourself up about it.

Edited by bobfish

You don't know what your problem is. Cutting the banana on plastic was not a problem. Eating the food was not a problem. 

Paying attention to the thoughts about a little bit of plastic is the problem. That is the only thing you did wrong.