Please help im so distressed! Feeling horrific after a rare night out.

3 hours ago, Caramoole said:

You're ruminating and trying to work it out.  You're checking with other people.  These are compulsions Saz, you know they won't help so what are you doing to change this?

Doesn't your body alert you when there is danger though? Sometimes it does im sure. I just feel so on edge with that sicky feeling going through my body. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Well all i can say is that it will keep on like this forever if you do what you are doing above. Relying on feelings when it comes to OCD is so dangerous, you can't rely on feelings when it comes to recovery from OCD. Recovery from OCD is to go against all your feelings. That is what makes it so hard, sitting there while you feel like there is a real threat. 

This is a suggestion but maybe you could read about the brain and the amygdala, what it does when you are having anxiety. I would actually suggest you to read about anxiety in general, what it is and how it can occour, even if we as human are highly rational beings. 

2 hours ago, PolarBear said:

So, Saz, how much mind energy have you been expending lately on that other issue that has been around for five years?

That went out of the window the past couple of days while I was worrying about this. However i have spoken to the person i was concerned about in this most recent worry from Saturday and they have put my mind at ease. Its almost like i have a bit of closure on it. I don't have that with my 'false memory' though and so I will go back to worrying about that. 

On 30/07/2018 at 20:03, OCDhavenobrain said:

Well all i can say is that it will keep on like this forever if you do what you are doing above. Relying on feelings when it comes to OCD is so dangerous, you can't rely on feelings when it comes to recovery from OCD. Recovery from OCD is to go against all your feelings. That is what makes it so hard, sitting there while you feel like there is a real threat. 

This is a suggestion but maybe you could read about the brain and the amygdala, what it does when you are having anxiety. I would actually suggest you to read about anxiety in general, what it is and how it can occour, even if we as human are highly rational beings. 

I will look it up tomorrow, thanks. 

57 minutes ago, Saz said:

That went out of the window the past couple of days while I was worrying about this. However i have spoken to the person i was concerned about in this most recent worry from Saturday and they have put my mind at ease. Its almost like i have a bit of closure on it. I don't have that with my 'false memory' though and so I will go back to worrying about that. 

Or not. You could try to put that to rest too.

18 hours ago, Caramoole said:

When are you going to take this on board Saz and use the tools therapy has shown you? :wontlisten:

I didn't expect to have something else to deal with on top of my original worry. It really took me by surprise. Although i don't feel quite as bad as felt the other day, it is still lingering and I've ended questioning myself about things relating to both worries. Why are somethings i think I can remember NOT real and then their are things i can't remember that ARE real? I know im not supposed to try and work things out but its so hard to just leave it alone. 

2 hours ago, Saz said:

Why are somethings i think I can remember NOT real and then their are things i can't remember that ARE real?

This is the typical OCD "false memory" beast. When I was really ill with OCD I could convince myself that I'd done horrible things- I was completely alcohol free but I could convince myself that I'd cheated, spat in peoples food when they weren't looking, attacked people. The list goes on. I could "remember" doing a lot of things that didn't happen. I ended up housebound at one point to play it safe. I would only go out if there was someone with me who I could seek reassurance off later. That's no way to live.

You're right though Saz- you need to leave this alone- I know you really want to work out but you never will.

13 hours ago, Saz said:

I didn't expect to have something else to deal with on top of my original worry. It really took me by surprise

Honestly Saz.......Hate to be a rotter but you should know this by now.  It's well-documented, it's something that's discussed on the forum all the time.  OCD can change all the time, it throws up multiple themes, variations of the same or completely new ones.

13 hours ago, Saz said:

I know im not supposed to try and work things out but its so hard to just leave it alone. 

Yes, it is hard....if it wasn't it wouldn't be troublesome, it wouldn't be a disorder.  We'd simply read a few articles, a few recommendations and be over it.

BUT.....it is a disorder.....it does respond well to tried and tested methods, of which is working at resisting the use of compulsions.  If you want to improve your situation you're going to have to dig deep and work on this when the going gets tough