Hi all

Don't know if any of this will help you but it may.  I decided to do something about my terrible health ocd and anxiety and booked myself in to a counsellor. It costs me a bit but I feel it's worth it.  Upshot is as I had an horrendous childhood and spent every day in a constant state of anxiety trying to protect my brother and me I've reacted to that from the age of about 8 by having severe anxiety and OCD (I'm 64 now all those wasted years!). We are working through it and there's been a lot of crying and despair but I feel I now know why I have these debilitating conditions and am understanding now how to deal with them - I don't know if it's the same for any of you but sometimes you do have to look at past situations as trying to distract yourself in the present doesn't always work.

I just thought I'd let you know if you're having conselling to hang in there - hope you all don't mind me posting just wanted to let you know there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

This is wonderful news! I’m so happy ur moving forward, you deserve to feel happy after all these years and with hard work and determination, you will. There’s not always a “root cause” to OCD but there’s definitely triggering events that can happen to a person who is predisposed to the condition, I can directly link my worst “themes” to things that have happened in the past, but I also have a few that are just bizarre and in no way linked to my past. It is important however to work through any trauma that you are hanging onto, just to get itvall off the chest! It is hard and tears are to be expected but it’s so much better out than in! Well done and good luck on your recovery!x

Edited by Wonderer

Hi,

I can relate. I've discussed similar with a counsellor from an anxiety fuelled childhood. Well done and it's never too late to carry on seeking an insight!

Njb

It's never too late to get help for mental illness. 

I am 68 now and was diagnosed with OCD during a company healthscreen. 

CBT therapy also discovered I suffered to some extent from four of the fifteen categorised negative thinking distortions and, in an episode of OCD, it was maintained by constantly-repeating negative OCD intrusions. 

It's been a real battle to get better, but during the last 15 months I have sufferered only one OCD setback, and was able to get over that quickly. 

Keep up the good work Lancslass :thumbup:

Edited by taurean

Great news that you have found a therapist that you can do do good work with. It is a release to talk openly and frankly about our troubles as well as charting a course for recovery.

Looking at past situations can be very important. Looking at the establishment of our core beliefs. It is mentioned in a book called ‘CBT for OCD’ written by the same therapists as ‘Break Free From OCD’ but with the addition of another contributor who worked with the person who developed compassion based therapy.’ CBT for OCD’ is not a self help book or introductory book on OCD. It is written largely for therapists but it does contain helpful information. It is on the recommended reading list of OCD UK. It is worth reading at some time.

Edited by Angst

My therapist is currently looking into events that occurred in my childhood that seem to be causing behaviour and anxiety in my adult life. It’s painful exploring these issues but only by confronting them can we move forward. 

Hi there - lovely to hear that you’re making good progress! :)

My OCD stems from anxiety in childhood too according to my therapist, and oddly enough that she says I wasn’t given the correct emotional support or reassurance for things. 

Keep moving forward and well done! X

Just wanted to say hi to everyone and it's a valuable insight which is kind of obvious but not overly expressed about environmental experiences.

Wishing everyone a great day

:a1_cheesygrin:Njb