Anyone have advice for groinal response? Please help.

My whole deal is that I get intrusive sexual thoughts and groinal responses, but it ties into contamination - if something gets contaminated my thoughts and groinal responses start getting a million times worse, for some reason.

I think I just got this idea in my head. But they feel so real. I have to avoid being around my mom because the thoughts are about her. Just sitting here now, in the other room, I have this tingling feeling, which can sometimes turn into a slight erection.

Because I sent in a form that is "contaminated" (to an OCD residential program), my thoughts and groinal responses have gotten 10x worse. I feel the need to call them and tell them to throw out the forms. However, this is my last chance to go there (will not have insurance next year) and I don't necessarily want to throw away the opportunity.

But God, being in close proximity with my mom and having these thoughts and what sometimes feel like "urges" is a freaking nightmare. I could be free of it if I tell the hospital to throw out the form. I'm not positive the hospital will help me anyway.

Hi. Groinal response is well documented. It's nothing to do with what you fear but it's there due to the fear and all the **** that goes with it. Arousal and attention mixed with anxiety and fear, it's a hotbed. The urge and feeling is all your ocd at play. Could be about your mum or the neighbours lawn mower.

You should be able to search groinal response here but I can tell you you're not alone as it can do all sorts down there for men and women alike. It's not an indicator of how you feel.

What to do about groinal response? Ignore them. That's it.

They don't mean anything. You've made a faulty link in your brain and a misguided leap to the thinking that they mean something. They don't. You just as easily can start to treat them as nothing. Do so long enough and they become nothing.

By the way, you said in your post "if something gets contaminated..." Nothing gets contaminated and on one level you know that. How can a thought or twinge in your groin contaminate something? It's not like you poured oil or feces on the thing. 

Better to say, my OCD is telling me this thing is contaminated. That's better.

Edited by PolarBear

Still confused about approaches since I think experts (or at least the ones here in the states) would say that "my OCD is telling me this thing is contaminated" is actually a compulsion. That's sort of the same thing as "it's not me, it's my OCD," isn't it?

I'm not trying to argue, it's just confusing. I really have no problem with that idea. Is doing it that way someone less effective than saying "No, this really is contaminated and I'm just going to have to live with it."

I need to do some deep breathing here. I'm overthinking everything. OCD has really messed up my life. 

I'm not quite sure what to do anymore. Go to therapy? Return to the hospital? Try self-help for a bit? 

I liked the advice someone gave me, which is to come up with a "rule." I.e., I'm going to try self-help for a period of two weeks, and if I don't get anywhere then I'll consult with a therapist. 

That's logical. It's much more logical than just spending all of my time obsessing about what to do instead of actually doing something.

I really need a change here. All of this obsessing has been going on for too long. Time to shift gears, somehow.

Edited by Ryukil

I'm not saying you have to repeat that saying ad nauseam, which would be a compulsion.

It's just the way you words things, as if something being contaminated is a fact. It is not. The contamination only exists in your mind. So it would be helpful to remember that that thing is not contaminated; because you have a disorder you perceive that thing to be contaminated. It's about gently rephrasing your inner dialogue.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Yes something really have to change Ryukil. If you want to come somewhere. This is the same as 3-4 months ago.

Edited by OCDhavenobrain