Hi There,

I am new to the forum and have not taken part in one before but thought I would try to find extra support and if I can ever be helpful to others with ocd stuff. Just wandering where to start and how others find chatting here helpful for their ocd stresses and pressures...

Hi taurean and thank you for your reply. With all of the different therapies out there, we all of course respond differently to what may help us. Just enquiring into what has helped with any of you guys? At the mo, life feels pretty claustrophobic and pressured...

Well for OCD it's cognitive behavioural therapy all the way. 

And when the therapist looks at our obsessions and compulsions, they may  spot other unwanted negative thinking distortions - which can also be treated by CBT. 

For me, adding Jeffrey Schwartz's "The Four Steps" from the book "Brainlock"  really helped, along with learning how to ease my thinking into mindfulness. 

It sounds like OCD may be closing in on you with "rules"  that seek to restrict your life? 

Such rules are actually made-up nonsense, and the way forward is to not abide by them and live with any resultant anxiety, whilst your mind adjusts to accepting it's an OCD made-up rule. 

At that point, after some work, the anxiety and the restrictive urge will fade away. 

Edited by taurean

Hi NGK7, welcome to the forum :)

Like taurean has said CBT is the therapy recommended for OCD. I recommend the self-help book Break free from OCD it’s written by some of the top people in OCD research and treatment, and was really the book that kicked off my OCD fight back. 

Also, for more replies you might want to post in the OCD section above, it’s the forum with the most posts in it :)

4 hours ago, NGK7 said:

Thank you so much for your insight and for the reading suggestions, much appreciated. Gemma7 - re the OCD section, where do you mean exactly? :) 

When you see the home page of the forums, under OCD support forums is Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, then Friends family and carers etc. The OCD forum is the one most members use and respond to :)

Here is the link

https://www.ocdforums.org/index.php?/forum/1-obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/

3 hours ago, NGK7 said:

Also. my main anxiety appears in the form of a severe germ phobia and rules all! How about you guys? :humbug:

I've had lots of variations of OCD over the years, but I've worried about germs too. Are you having therapy at the moment? 

Thanks so much. Iv'e had various types over the years and am hopefully going to embark on a new therapy journey very soon. I know that when I meditate, do yoga and other calming activities like being in nature, this helps but at the mo, my head is feeling very claustrophobic (also agoraphobic again now!) so all feels tricky... Has anything helped you siginificantly to be able feel free again?

8 hours ago, NGK7 said:

Thanks so much. Iv'e had various types over the years and am hopefully going to embark on a new therapy journey very soon. I know that when I meditate, do yoga and other calming activities like being in nature, this helps but at the mo, my head is feeling very claustrophobic (also agoraphobic again now!) so all feels tricky... Has anything helped you siginificantly to be able feel free again?

Yes! :)

Check out my "maintaining our gains and limiting relapse potential" thread on the main OCD discussion forum ? 

Thanks so much. Iv'e had various types over the years and am hopefully going to embark on a new therapy journey very soon. I know that when I meditate, do yoga and other calming activities like being in nature, this helps but at the mo, my head is feeling very claustrophobic (also agoraphobic again now!) so all feels tricky... Has anything helped you significantly to be able feel free again?

Thank you muchly - I will check that out :)