Grasping Some Important Concepts Can Really Help!

We can obsess and compulse about literally anything. 

For some experiences there may not be resultant distress or anxiety, the D (disorder)  may be more annoyance, resentment, or some other adverse emotion.

Generally speaking, OCD works the same way whatever the theme or manifestation. There may be a play on doubt and /or demand for certainty. And in some themes - like paedophile, faithfulness, sexual preference, harm - the OCD targets a true core character value and alleges the opposite has been may or could be true. 

Understanding how it works (C - the cognitive side)  is important. Using exposure and response prevention may not succeed in the absence of this. And we will likely find it difficult to not connect with, not give meaning to, an intrusion without this. 

When we do understand its way of working, and are using structured exposure and response prevention, leaving intrusions be and gently but firmly refocusing to something involved and beneficial - that for me is when we are likely to see progress in recovery. 

Edited by taurean

well lets grasp the fact that ocd is a evolutionary response to stress and anxiety,,,that we call a mental illness.,how crazy is that,,,,ocd is only a problem when its done to excess,,,but it still is not a mental illness,,

2 hours ago, marky said:

well lets grasp the fact that ocd is a evolutionary response to stress and anxiety,,,that we call a mental illness.,how crazy is that,,,,ocd is only a problem when its done to excess,,,but it still is not a mental illness,,

My oh my, I can't disagree with you more.

35 minutes ago, Gerard said:

HI Taurean, I thought your post was magnificent.

Thank you.

Love,

Gx

Thank you Gerard. 

I posted the topic because I read so many posts where I can see people need to use the basics in CBT and really work at them. 

By putting some key elements into a micro-summary format I hoped it would give strugglers something to really benefit them, really utilise. 

It's easy to copy from a thread, or print pages from a thread. To print, it's simply a right click from within the topic, then left click to print. 

11 hours ago, taurean said:

Thank you Gerard. 

I posted the topic because I read so many posts where I can see people need to use the basics in CBT and really work at them. 

By putting some key elements into a micro-summary format I hoped it would give strugglers something to really benefit them, really utilise. 

It's easy to copy from a thread, or print pages from a thread. To print, it's simply a right click from within the topic, then left click to print. 

Your posts are good reminders of CBT principles, Taurean. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

On 09/08/2018 at 01:57, marky said:

I don't disagree that it's an evolved pattern and some propensity to obsessive-compulsive behaviours exists across the population. However, it is a mental illness precisely because it can be done to excess, interfere with wellbeing, and cause significant impairment. That's kind of the definition of some forms of mental illness. Why are you so keen on not classifying it as such?

there was a time,when ocd did not exist,,,,a few psychiatrist,,,just invented the label,,,these same people said,,,the ill ness m,e in children was a mental illnesss,,,,it wasn't,,it was a persistant viral infection,,ocd can be caused by viral infection,,,its well documented,,,,do we call these children ,mentaly ill,,women can get ocd during menopause,,are they mentaly ill,,,a stroke victim gets ocd are they mentaly ill,,,,,pnly a human being can be so stupid to call ocd a mental illness,,,we cannoty call an evolutionary response to stress an mental illness,,,and we do all have it to a degree,,everyone uses ocd to releive stress,,,its the natural antedote to stress,,,its only a problem when its done to excess,,even then,,its not a mental illness,,but human psychology as it is,and as Jordan Peterson said,,not all patients want a cure,for some,the payback for being ill is to great,,i agree.....common sense would indicate that all possible solutions should be considered in seeking a cure,,,but instead, hostility is met,,,from those heavily invested in their illness

ocd in a normal person is there to help us create a predictable world in which we then feel a sense of control..we need the familiar,,the known,,not a everyday life where we don't know whats going to happen next,,this is ocds purpose,,,,,but some use it to excess especialy if theirs  is a word of the unpredictable,,,,ocd is all about creating a very predictable and controlled world,,where they feel safe,,normal ocd taken to extreme levels,,but to call it a mental illness,is farcical,,but will suit some just fine,,and they are the ones who shout the loudest,,for they have the most to lose

its a bit like the normal person taking pain killers,,,,when the pain has stopped so do the pain killers..but the ocder just keeps taking them ,pain or no pain,,,ocd is a bit of a cop out,,the easy way to manage lifes ups and downs,,,,we learned this at some point,,,this is from a ocder of 25 years.we need to take responsibility for our feeling,,and stop blaming it on ocd,,,the cop out

we have two choices with ocd,,,we invest heavily in it or we don't,,,we must look at the kind of person we are,,,have we identified way to much with our illness ,that we become it,,our very identity depends on us have ocd,,so much so,we are hostile to any potential cure,,,are we one of those,,,,i chose not to be that,,

54 minutes ago, marky said:

women can get ocd during menopause,,are they mentaly ill

Yes.

54 minutes ago, marky said:

a stroke victim gets ocd are they mentaly ill

Yes!!

the ill ness m,e in children was a mental illnesss,,,,it wasn't,,it was a persistant viral infection,,ocd can be caused by viral infection

I have no idea if this viral infection you speak of is actually real, but regardless, this point doesn't make any sense. It is definitely possible for a physical illness to be a factor in the development of a mental illness - doesn't make the mental illness any less serious.

pnly a human being can be so stupid to call ocd a mental illness,,,wecannoty call an evolutionary response to stress an mental illness,,,and we do all have it to a degree,,everyone uses ocd to releive stress,,,its the natural antedote to stress,,,its only a problem when its done to excess,,even then,,its not a mental illness

I responded to this point (and a lot of your other points) in my lengthy post in lily's thread. Please take a look at that and actually respond to it instead of just spouting the same nonsense.

26 minutes ago, marky said:

we need to take responsibility for our feeling,,and stop blaming it on ocd,,,the cop out

Alright, *******. Enough.

We sufferers shouldn't use OCD as an excuse for our compulsive behaviour and we should be making a continuous effort to stop compulsions. However, it is extremely offensive to say that somebody who is seriously struggling with irrational thoughts and abnormal thoughts and behaviour is using OCD as a 'cop out'. I'm sincerely happy for you that you've apparently never hit rock bottom and found it excruciatingly difficult to make changes to your thinking and recover, because you clearly have no idea how it feels. No sympathy whatsoever.

22 minutes ago, marky said:

we have two choices with ocd,,,we invest heavily in it or we don't,,,we must look at the kind of person we are,,,have we identified way to much with our illness ,that we become it,,our very identity depends on us have ocd,,so much so,we are hostile to any potential cure,,,are we one of those,,,,i chose not to be that,,

Nobody here is saying that they're OK with having OCD. We all want to get better, thank you very much. And wtf do you mean by 'we are hostile to any potential cure'?! What exactly do you think we should do instead of following scientifically proven CBT advice? You've offered no alternative.

Astonishingly, you've actually made a very small number of points that I agree with you on, but this is completely overshadowed by most of what you've said, which is confusing, self-contradictory drivel that adds no value to any discussion thus far. Please prove us wrong and show us you can actually contribute something positive to this forum, or leave people alone with your useless ****.

2 hours ago, marky said:

there was a time,when ocd did not exist,,,,a few psychiatrist,,,just invented the label,,,these same people said,,,the ill ness m,e in children was a mental illnesss,,,,it wasn't,,it was a persistant viral infection,,ocd can be caused by viral infection,,,its well documented,,,,do we call these children ,mentaly ill,,women can get ocd during menopause,,are they mentaly ill,,,a stroke victim gets ocd are they mentaly ill,,,,,pnly a human being can be so stupid to call ocd a mental illness,,,we cannoty call an evolutionary response to stress an mental illness,,,and we do all have it to a degree,,everyone uses ocd to releive stress,,,its the natural antedote to stress,,,its only a problem when its done to excess,,even then,,its not a mental illness,,but human psychology as it is,and as Jordan Peterson said,,not all patients want a cure,for some,the payback for being ill is to great,,i agree.....common sense would indicate that all possible solutions should be considered in seeking a cure,,,but instead, hostility is met,,,from those heavily invested in their illness

Once again you make statements as fact without any proof. Where is your proof that OCD is evolutionary ?

We don't all have OCD. Not even close. 

2 hours ago, marky said:

as one man in here says,,theres no point looking for the cause,,,you wont find a more emotionaly invested person than that.no cure is wanted or sought,,,,jesus

The cause doesn't matter. Knowing does not further anyone down the psth of recovery.

There's lots of theories what causes OCD but no solid conclusions. However, we know how to fix it.

2 hours ago, marky said:

its a bit like the normal person taking pain killers,,,,when the pain has stopped so do the pain killers..but the ocder just keeps taking them ,pain or no pain,,,ocd is a bit of a cop out,,the easy way to manage lifes ups and downs,,,,we learned this at some point,,,this is from a ocder of 25 years.we need to take responsibility for our feeling,,and stop blaming it on ocd,,,the cop out

With words like this you demean the 100 million people on Earth who suffer from this disorder. You cheapen their suffering.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Pleaae dont get upset Bobfish. I think that might be what he wants.

Or well wrong of me. You are right to get upset. But please report after you do.

report afterwarda

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

The purpose of this thread was to provide assistance from my experience of CBT for OCD (of which I have had plenty) to those who might benefit from it. 

The purpose of the forum is for the community to help each other to work towards overcoming OCD. 

Pure and simple. 

On 10/08/2018 at 18:51, PolarBear said:

Once again you make statements as fact without any proof. Where is your proof that OCD is evolutionary ?

We don't all have OCD. Not even close. 

I think the idea that OCD is (an exaggerated) evolutionary pattern comes from animals' "flight distance" behaviours. Roughly speaking, our brains evolved to have a "better safe than sorry" response to stimulus. Say there's a one 1/10 chance the rustling in the bushes is a predator. 9/10 times it's a bird, but our ancestors with a predisposition towards "better safe than sorry" lived to pass on their genes while less flighty ancestors got eaten before they could. In OCD, the parts of our brains that run that better safe than sorry pattern are wonky.  Through genetic predisposition, something like PANDAS (if that's a thing), and learning. It doesn't stop it being a mental illness or it's treatment with CBT/ERP though, and I wonder at the motives behind denying it's a mental illness.

I mean, depending on how you look at it pretty much everything arises from evolution, with the genes we inherited from all our ancestors interacting with our environment.