I have two Instagrams, a "spam" (aka an account where you post often about personal things for a curated group of people to read) and a regular account for the general public. I OBSESS over whether I've posted to the wrong account, even when I know I haven't posted anything since I last checked. Sometimes I check to see where I posted something five times in half an hour. I'll be lying in bed, and then suddenly think "WHAT IF I POSTED TO THE WRONG ACCOUNT?!" And have to scramble to my phone to check.

It is honestly so annoying- and stressful!

Anyone else have bothersome social media related obsessions and/or compulsions?

Edited by snowbear
Removed swearing (starred out section)

New compulsions can be your friend. Why? Because it's a reminder of the irrelevance of the obsessions. And, yes, as has been pointed out, it doesn't matter an iota if anyone else has similar obsessions - certainly not from a therapeutic point of view. . 

Guest OCDhavenobrain
2 hours ago, paradoxer said:

New compulsions can be your friend. Why? Because it's a reminder of the irrelevance of the obsessions. And, yes, as has been pointed out, it doesn't matter an iota if anyone else has similar obsessions - certainly not from a therapeutic point of view. . 

Even if i couldnt agree more about the feeling you sometimes get when you can see the absurd thing in the beginning do I have to say that the feeling weens of incredibly fast!

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
10 hours ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

Even if i couldnt agree more about the feeling you sometimes get when you can see the absurd thing in the beginning do I have to say that the feeling weens of incredibly fast!

Yes, let the anxiety come ... and watch it go. 

On 10/08/2018 at 17:46, PolarBear said:

It doesn't matter if anyone else has the same compulsions. You do, they're harmful and only making things worse.

Knowing that, what are you going yo do to stop?

I actually was just asking out of curiosity to hear other's experience and I didn't need to know if anyone had the same obsession, I was just wondering about social media. That being said, I've talked about it with my therapist and I'm working on making myself wait longer and longer each time I have the thought to check. 

On 11/08/2018 at 02:45, paradoxer said:

That's pretty true, I never thought of it that way. But yeah, I definitely wasn't asking from a therapeutic point of view, I was just wondering! 

On 12/08/2018 at 05:15, cookiemonster said:

Have you tried cbt to help this compulsion / obsession? 

Personally other than these types of forums I don’t use social media at all as I think it’s unhealthy for mental health. 

I'm trying ERP right now but I feel like some mindfulness would help too! And honestly, I'm sure that's an excellent idea on your part. Social media can be a huge negative influence. 

2 hours ago, neurosies said:

I actually was just asking out of curiosity to hear other's experience and I didn't need to know if anyone had the same obsession, I was just wondering about social media. That being said, I've talked about it with my therapist and I'm working on making myself wait longer and longer each time I have the thought to check. 

Excellent!

4 hours ago, neurosies said:

That's pretty true, I never thought of it that way. But yeah, I definitely wasn't asking from a therapeutic point of view, I was just wondering! 

An insight into OCD's drearily predictable MO isn't a bad thing. Cheers.