Since March after my relapse & new OCD topic to agonise over ive worked hard to manage it accept medication & read self help books, eventually thr CMHT signed me off to IAPT to start CBT ....just had the asessment where the lady constantly cut me off mid sentence provided crises team numbers then said oh the waiting time is around 9 months to a year :( so upset and frustrated as ive worked so hard to get myself to a semblance of normality and try hard to accept the thoughts and continue with my day to day life inspite of them for the last almost 6 months with no outside support. 

I think my only option now is to pay private :'( which i doubt we can afford 

I know there is a wealth of great self help materials out there and majority of it i do try to implement howeve the particular topic ocd has decided to hit me with this time is particularly risky to work through alone and i have a level of self doubt so was wanting to work with a therapist who can make sure im pacing myself and working on the right stuff. 

Whatever form OCD takes - and we can obsess + compulse = disorder about virtually anything - it's important to remember it operates in the same way. 

So all we need to learn is that cognitive way it operates and - with such themes like paedophile, harm, sexual preference, relationship - that what it does is home in one one or more of our true core character values, alleging that the opposite is actually true. 

This knowledge is, for me, crucial. 

In the absence of a therapist, a significant other person (I had my wife)  can help with set tasks ; this works really well when the sufferer uses a CBT workbook for OCD, which includes set work for the sufferer to undertake along the road to recovery - just as a one-to-one therapist would set.