Determination To Succeed In Recovery

My wife found a great piece of prose, in a laminated wallchart, which she stuck on the kitchen wall one time when I was really struggling with my OCD. 

It's title " Don't Give Up".

Those three words, and the wonderful encouragement of the prose below it, had a profound effect on me. As did the loving support from my partner and soulmate. 

A close supporter from friend or family is helpful but, even without that, the wonderful support along the route to recovery from fellow sufferers and recoverees here is worth its weight in gold. We are not alone. 

Brush aside all the padding, and what we need to really engage in to start on the road to recovery is belief in what we have been told about how the illness works (the cognitive side C),  and the thinking and behavioural changes (B) we need to make in order to ease the Disorder. 

Not giving in to the demands for certainty of OCD, its lies and exaggerations of minimum - if any - risk, and stopping when we realise we are doing that, and cutting out resultant compulsions (which only strengthen intrusions in power and frequency)  are the necessities of the cognitive behavioural therapy with which we need to fully engage. 

There isn't a quick fix - this takes time, determination. Patience Persistence and Persistence. People give up far too quickly, often before they cross the red metaphorical line between failure and starting to win. 

Be determined, don't give up, and successes - marginal gains at first, then bigger ones - will be there to be won. 

I know this to be so from my own personal experience. 

12 hours ago, taurean said:

My wife found a great piece of prose, in a laminated wallchart, which she stuck on the kitchen wall one time when I was really struggling with my OCD. 

Those three words, and the wonderful encouragement of the prose below it, had a profound effect on me. As did the loving support from my partner and soulmate. 

A close supporter from friend or family is helpful but, even without that, the wonderful support along the route to recovery from fellow sufferers and recoverees here is worth its weight in gold. We are not alone. 

Brush aside all the padding, and what we need to really engage in to start on the road to recovery is belief in what we have been told about how the illness works (the cognitive side C),  and the thinking and behavioural changes (B) we need to make in order to ease the Disorder. 

Not giving in to the demands for certainty of OCD, its lies and exaggerations of minimum - if any - risk, and stopping when we realise we are doing that, and cutting out resultant compulsions (which only strengthen intrusions in power and frequency)  are the necessities of the cognitive behavioural therapy with which we need to fully engage. 

There isn't a quick fix - this takes time, determination. Patience Persistence and Persistence. People give up far too quickly, often before they cross the red metaphorical line between failure and starting to win. 

Be determined, don't give up, and successes - marginal gains at first, then bigger ones - will be there to be won. 

I know this to be so from my own personal experience. 

Exactly Roy :yes:

Another important one is motivation (if not the most important one )it’s quite easy to sit back and take what seems the easiest route however this is what keeps us stuck. So motivation everyday to face doing behavioural therapy is a must.

25 minutes ago, lostinme said:

Exactly Roy :yes:

Another important one is motivation (if not the most important one )it’s quite easy to sit back and take what seems the easiest route however this is what keeps us stuck. So motivation everyday to face doing behavioural therapy is a must.

I agree. Too simple to not want to make the necessary effort. And then stuck we stay. 

11 hours ago, kaheath80 said:

You would have loved my article. Shame it wasn’t accepted for publication for its on this topic so I could always copy and paste it here if that’s helpful for anyone?

For me it's vital that we get the message here across to people. Understanding, how OCD works, then making the thinking and behavioural changes through CBT is the gold standard treatment but needs continual effort and determination in order to succeed.

So that's OK by me. Or you can open up your own topic and paste it into that.

It may, as any post can, be subject to moderation of course. 

I’m out today but can post it tomorrow if it’s allowed. Maybe in the meantime one of the moderators could let me know if it’s possible? It’s not just about OCD, but a large part of it is, and I reference this forum in it (but not by name).

On 24/08/2018 at 07:46, taurean said:

Is that the same poem as 'Don't Quit' ? I know that poem well and have often recited it when life has been tough (not just OCD.)

There's one line in particular that's relevant to everyone with OCD: you never can tell how close you are, it may be near when it seems so far... 

I think that's true for many people going through CBT. It's all work, work, work with fleeting rewards and you think it's not working...but then suddenly things start to come together and you make loads of progress in a short time. 

Her's the poem in full for anyone interested. 

DON'T QUIT

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you’re trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don’t you quit!

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a fellow turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out.
Don’t give up though the pace seems slow –
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man;
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor’s cup;
And he learned too late when the night came down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out –
The silver tint in the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It might be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit –
It’s when things seem worst that you must not quit.