So, I have autism

Guest OCDhavenobrain

It could be that it is harder to recover from OCD when having autism because of rigid thinking due to autism but DO NOT think that it is impossible! Because it is NOT

I don't identify as having autism even if I have got the diagnosis once.. So i can't tell you my experience but I know here are many good members who can talk about the specific question.

I am autistic. I've had ocd since childhood and definitely think it makes things harder dealing with lots of rigid thinking. Doesn't mean I don't stop trying ? I hope having the diagnosis helps you understand yourself. I was relieved when I got mine as so much fell into place. 

8 hours ago, Phili said:

I’ve known for ages that there was something more wrong with me

While I don't have autism I've had some experience with people who do.  Its true that being on the autism spectrum affects how you will experience and interact with the world around you, but I encourage you not to think of it as something being "wrong" vs just being different.  Hopefully having the diagnosis and learning more about it will help you feel more comfortable in life.  

My son has autism, he’s 11 and therapy for his OCD is proving to be difficult for him and he’s having very slow progress, I am suspected autism and I am pretty sure I do have it, I’m recovered from OCD atm so it can be done :) xx 

P.S there is nothing “wrong” with you, don’t think like that, it’s so negative and will be detrimental to your mental health.x

On 05/09/2018 at 04:01, Caramoole said:

What's been offered as a plan of action to help.....or haven't they got that far yet?

What support's in place at the moment?  Who are you seeing?

I have a CN who visits about once a month, if I’m lucky. She gives me pages to colour in. Um, lady from Gwalia who deal with housing and bills comes every week even though she doesn’t really have anything to do, she is trying to stay with us because she wants to help.

The dietician is waiting for my Autism diagnosis to be on paper as they has to change tack. The other Autism lady will be visiting again, that’s it. Oh my GP but she retires in six months and the surgery is closing. My period is still going and I have to have tests if it is my the end of September 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phili welcome to the club. Having OCD with autism absolutely sucks. I don't know what else to say except I completely understand why your therapy attempts didn't work. It's different for us and I don't know what else to say. The anxiety does not go away or diminish despite exposure. It absolutely sucks. Mindfulness and acceptance and self soothing are the only ways forward. I'm sorry :( 

Guest OCDhavenobrain
On 22/09/2018 at 00:03, Orwell1984 said:

Hi Phili welcome to the club. Having OCD with autism absolutely sucks. I don't know what else to say except I completely understand why your therapy attempts didn't work. It's different for us and I don't know what else to say. The anxiety does not go away or diminish despite exposure. It absolutely sucks. Mindfulness and acceptance and self soothing are the only ways forward. I'm sorry :( 

Could you explain more what you mean when you write that "the anxiety does not go away"? I know that people with ASD tends to have anxiety and depressions but the anxiety from OCD can be removed. 

Do not be harsh on yourself. Evan if I can understand your negativity about it. I guess the rigid thinking is the biggest problem when it comes to OCD+ASD?  

On 21/09/2018 at 23:03, Orwell1984 said:

This isn’t necessarily true, all people on the spectrum are different, my son is doing a thousand times better than he was last year, his anxiety is so much less than it’s ever been. I mentioned before I’m suspected Aspergers myself, I am OCD free and 90% anxiety free at the moment myself! Please don’t write yourself off as never getting better, you CAN! X