Thank you to my volunteers - past and present

In November it will be our charity's 15th anniversary from when Steve Sharpe and myself decided to do this. Since then we've helped and supported people with OCD. We've helped hundreds and informed thousands, sometimes on here, often away from the forums. None of which would have happened without my amazing team, past and present.  

So this is an open invite to all my volunteers/moderators/trustees past and present that aren't coming to the conference, but want to join us in Brighton after our conference for a drink, then please do come. I want to thank you in person.  

I am often credited with the charity, but the fact is I have worked with some of the most amazing and dedicated volunteers. The fact we've helped so many people over the years is down to them, and I will raise a glass to each and every one of them in Brighton.

Thank you to my entire team, past and present. (seeking more volunteers moving forward too). 

As the poet John Dunne said, " no man is an island" and this charity could not exist without the help those volunteers have given to Ashley over the years. 

Absolutely brilliant. 

Edited by taurean

What a lovely sincere message :)

I believe the making of a great charity is one of a mixture that comes from the original co- founders, to the running of the organisation, to all volunteers, moderators, trustees past and present and also the help and support of other forum users themselves. Making this a great place where everyone comes together working as a part of a team.

A very well done to Ashley and to everyone concerned :yes: 

I have been here for fourteen and a half years now, almost from the start.  It was at the time a small & very new charity.  My how it has changed, not only in numbers but in knowledge.  We now have so many "experts" sharing their own knowledge, their experiences, their tips....it's incredible.  Back then a Moderator advised on almost every thread....now the quality of advise from other members makes that unnecessary most of the time.  At the moment I am very busy, I'm still logged on most of the time, checking here and there but finding that threads are running smoothly, good advice and support is being given and no further input needed usually.......So, Well Done all :clapping:

What an amazing story, Caramoole. 

I am a mere stripling at only 6.3 years membership - but the charity and forums - and the help of those members with knowledge and experience -  provided the missing links from therapy to help me with my own recovery. 

And I like to think by helping others we can get them into recovery, and a better life, much sooner. And especially those who are awaiting CBT therapy or are unable to access it because of where they live. 

I did proofreading for you last year and was promised I would be asked again but never heard anything after that. Happy to be a volunteer but would have been nice if the promise had been kept. It was a long job proofreading the magazine and I was totally happy to do it for free as I like proofreading and wanted to help the charity, but felt a bit unappreciated after that.

On 11/09/2018 at 09:19, kaheath80 said:

I did proofreading for you last year and was promised I would be asked again but never heard anything after that. Happy to be a volunteer but would have been nice if the promise had been kept. It was a long job proofreading the magazine and I was totally happy to do it for free as I like proofreading and wanted to help the charity, but felt a bit unappreciated after that.

So sorry to hear you are feeling this way Kaheath. What we sadly forget sometimes is that even though good intentions are very much honourable at the time sadly they can pass us by without even realising it. We have to remember that running a big organisation is a lot of responsibility and hard work with more than 9 thousand members and lots of behind the scene work to do also and sometimes such things can just slip us by accidentally. Don’t take it personally im sure that you was very much appreciated for all the hard work you did for the charity :yes:

I think that's right. 

A trading business would have paid employees, and administration officers to keep detailed records. 

The charity works as best it can with the resources it has. And as Ashley is saying now, he wants to say a big thank you to everyone who has helped. 

If you keep an eye on the volunteer forum thread, there will no doubt be other needs announced when required. 

Edited by taurean

Thanks both. Yes I certainly appreciate that it’s a charity, but it’s also important to remember we are volunteers giving our time for free. I have BPD and it may well be that I am taking it more personally than I should- that’s common for me.

Its just that even though it took me hours and I did it on holiday, I was happy to help for free because I like proofreading. I’m hoping possibly in the future to set myself up as a freelance proofreader and it would have been good for me to be able to say I did regular proofreading and, I thought, good for the charity to have someone happy to do it longer-term rather than having to look for new people each time. I also didn’t get a reply last time volunteers were asked for and I made a comment that I had been told I could do it next time. Finally, I suggested an article idea and was told yes please so I wrote the article and sent it in and never had a reply. This was about a year ago. So I guess I just felt a bit hard-done by. 

Anyway I now have a regular proofreading voluntary role for my local ice hockey team instead and the article has been published elsewhere. I just feel it’s a shame because I think it could have worked well for both of us, but maybe the charity had other ideas. Either way, I do obviously think that starting this thread and the invitation for the drink is a nice one. I just feel personally that my work wasn’t really appreciated and so I’ve gone elsewhere instead now.