I have a question...

Hey guys... I have a question. Why does OCD make you feel like you can't answer a certain question (you know you can but you are scared of your own response...? Like you are scared that you feel unsure)

Like my brain asks questions like 'would I ever really want to kill my family' and I immediately feel like I cant answer. 1. Because i know it won't help me... 2. Because I'm worried I'm unsure... 

Have a feeling I may have asked this before but...

HDC 

Hey, 

It's the demand for absolute certainty that OCD craves. You're afraid to answer, because you're afraid it's the wrong answer, and OCD won't tolerate that uncertainty. 

The best thing you can do is leave the questioned unanswered. Terrifying huh? It's what you have to do to break the cycle though. Trying to figure it all out is a classic compulsion. If you can break the compulsions it's a game changer. It's not easy, takes lots of practice, but it's achievable. Next time you feel the need to try and "work it out"....refocus your mind and energy elsewhere, something productive and/or an enjoyable hobby. OCD won't take kindly to this and will start screaming at you, it's alright to ignore it. 

46 minutes ago, Skullpops said:

Hey, 

It's the demand for absolute certainty that OCD craves. You're afraid to answer, because you're afraid it's the wrong answer, and OCD won't tolerate that uncertainty. 

The best thing you can do is leave the questioned unanswered. Terrifying huh? It's what you have to do to break the cycle though. Trying to figure it all out is a classic compulsion. If you can break the compulsions it's a game changer. It's not easy, takes lots of practice, but it's achievable. Next time you feel the need to try and "work it out"....refocus your mind and energy elsewhere, something productive and/or an enjoyable hobby. OCD won't take kindly to this and will start screaming at you, it's alright to ignore it. 

Thank you for this! ??

4 minutes ago, HDC said:

Working it out is one of my biggest compulsions... glad you helped me notice that! ? no, I've done well over the last 4 years of suffering but, I will get there! 

It's a really common compulsion, one I struggle with too. It's utterly terrifying "leaving it alone" to start with but it does get better and easier! Every time you resist a compulsion you weaken the obsession. 

12 minutes ago, Skullpops said:

It's a really common compulsion, one I struggle with too. It's utterly terrifying "leaving it alone" to start with but it does get better and easier! Every time you resist a compulsion you weaken the obsession. 

I trust leaving it though... because I've been here before, I trust that it will die down again! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12 September 2018 at 11:38, Skullpops said:

Hey, 

You say refocus your mind and energy elsewhere, how do you do this? Does that not just make ocd worse because you are running away from it and not accepting it I have tried doing this but I just seem to come back to where I started. Forgive me if I sound like I am disagreeing with you, I'm not I just don't know how to do this effectively.