When normal feelings return!

Hey everyone, how are u all doing? I have noticed something, when I was really bad with OCD I was so anxiety ridden that I never really got upset about normal things, I put everyone on a pedestal because I was so grateful for all the wonderful support I got, I felt so guilty all the time that not a lot anyone else did bothered me! Last week I got a bit down in the dumps, feeling a bit under appreciated at home, I’ve a son turning 15 this weekend and my youngest is almost 12 and I felt that they aren’t really appreciating  everything I do for them around the house etc, I got a bit teary for a couple of days, generally this is an unpleasant experience and while it was, I actually reflected and now I feel great, because at last I’m back to being normal, it’s good that things are annoying me, it’s good that I can recognise when things are getting to me, NORMAL things that would  get to anyone! So yes, I’ve discovered that while I was ill I didn’t have many feelings except  for anxiety and now that I’m finally living outside of my head again I’m having down days when appropriate and also great days too, what a relief to finally be able to feel again! Another achievement is that when I felt low I didn’t automatically panic myself into thinking I was unstable again or depressed, that had been an issue before! All I can say is, bring on ALL the feelings! Hope everyone else is coming along? Xx

Great insight! I too experience this.  When I'm in the midst of an OCD storm, other things that might otherwise bother me tend to slip by unnoticed!  One positive is it allows me to re-evaluate whether those things are really worth spending time on or not.  After all if I didn't worry about them so much while in the midst of OCD, maybe they aren't as big a deal as I thought.

15 hours ago, dksea said:

Great insight! I too experience this.  When I'm in the midst of an OCD storm, other things that might otherwise bother me tend to slip by unnoticed!  One positive is it allows me to re-evaluate whether those things are really worth spending time on or not.  After all if I didn't worry about them so much while in the midst of OCD, maybe they aren't as big a deal as I thought.

Hey! That’s a good way to look at things! I had a grumpy few days, had a cry and felt fine after it, it’s good to feel things when u haven’t for so long! But yes, I did wonder should’ve I got myself so upset about it but at the same time some issues did need to be addressed and I didn’t let them go as I would have before, which worked out great as the kids are being a lot more polite to me ?? xx

Edited by Wonderer
21 hours ago, lostinme said:

That’s great news Wonderer, how things have changed :yes:

I’m so pleased that things are looking good for you, keep up the great work and enjoy life :cheer: x

Hi Lost! How are u doing? Ok I hope? Yes life is immeasurably different to how it once was, I’ve been doing things I haven’t done for years too, I went for lunch with 2 family members from Canada I’d never met yesterday which was huge in itself but it was also in town, which I’ve avoided for a very long time and I got the bus home which I’ve also avoided for the past two years! I had a doctors appointment today too, I have a lump in my right breast, I’ve been referred to the breast clinic at a cancer hospital for further tests, but you know what? I’m not worried about it! I don’t think it’s anything to worry about and if it is, I’ll deal with it when the time comes, last year I would’ve had myself dead and buried in my mind! My sons turning 15 tomorrow and we had family round tonight for a take away and cake, despite the fact I’ve a terrible tummy bug and wasn’t in the mood...life is just getting better, I’m not saying all of that to blow my own trumpet, but to show anyone who reads this that recovery is more than possible, if I can do it, anyone can! I’ve not been on here as much which is ironically a good sign, so I’m not up to speed on how everyone else is coming along so I really hope ur ok after ur wee blip?!xx

Hey Wonderer, that’s wonderful news I’m so very pleased for you :)

Im good thanks :) I’m slowly working through my latest hiccup, what brings us down only makes us stronger :yes: I’ve still got a way to go but I’m always fully motivated and I never give hope of one day achieving total recovery. But hey I’m 75% there and enjoying life again and doing new things and achieving things I could only ever dream of, so feeling pretty good and proud of my achievements so far.

I think it’s great to share how you are feeling and you should feel very proud of yourself in all your achievements. By sharing your own journey gives others inspiration that recovery is possible. We should shout it from the rooftops so hopefully everyone will be inspired to start their very own journey too xx

14 hours ago, lostinme said:

Hey Wonderer, that’s wonderful news I’m so very pleased for you :)

Im good thanks :) I’m slowly working through my latest hiccup, what brings us down only makes us stronger :yes: I’ve still got a way to go but I’m always fully motivated and I never give hope of one day achieving total recovery. But hey I’m 75% there and enjoying life again and doing new things and achieving things I could only ever dream of, so feeling pretty good and proud of my achievements so far.

I think it’s great to share how you are feeling and you should feel very proud of yourself in all your achievements. By sharing your own journey gives others inspiration that recovery is possible. We should shout it from the rooftops so hopefully everyone will be inspired to start their very own journey too xx

Yay! This made me smile, ur so committed to ur recovery, u WILL get there, 75% is an amazing achievement! I love how u have picked yourself up and vow to continue, that’s inspirational, the blips can knock us for six but it’s what we do about them that matters and ur deffo on the right path! So pleased for u!xx

7 hours ago, Wonderer said:

Yay! This made me smile, ur so committed to ur recovery, u WILL get there, 75% is an amazing achievement! I love how u have picked yourself up and vow to continue, that’s inspirational, the blips can knock us for six but it’s what we do about them that matters and ur deffo on the right path! So pleased for u!xx

Thank you flower, I can’t say it’s not hard at times because it is, especially with such a big family, there always seems to be something that crops up and knocks me back again, but sadly that’s life. I need to work on still focusing on therapy and doing my tasks in hand even when such issues do arise, which sadly my life always seems to be that way. Im working at the moment at achieving this, because it’s ok avoiding compulsions when everything is running smoothly but I need to be able to avoid them also when I’m stressed or upset by something. I’m doing good though, I’ve been tackling two 24 hr kettles over the last few week, normally I would have to empty and fill them both to enable me to drink from them, but today I’ve just emptied and refilled just the one so I’ve not been able to fall back on the one I consider the safest. I think motivation is a big part of CBT we need to keep pushing ourselves every tiny little step out of our own comfort zone and not waiting for our therapist to suggest everything before we even try. 

So glad things are good for you and very pleased you are enjoying life again xx

13 hours ago, lostinme said:

Thank you flower, I can’t say it’s not hard at times because it is, especially with such a big family, there always seems to be something that crops up and knocks me back again, but sadly that’s life. I need to work on still focusing on therapy and doing my tasks in hand even when such issues do arise, which sadly my life always seems to be that way. Im working at the moment at achieving this, because it’s ok avoiding compulsions when everything is running smoothly but I need to be able to avoid them also when I’m stressed or upset by something. I’m doing good though, I’ve been tackling two 24 hr kettles over the last few week, normally I would have to empty and fill them both to enable me to drink from them, but today I’ve just emptied and refilled just the one so I’ve not been able to fall back on the one I consider the safest. I think motivation is a big part of CBT we need to keep pushing ourselves every tiny little step out of our own comfort zone and not waiting for our therapist to suggest everything before we even try. 

So glad things are good for you and very pleased you are enjoying life again xx

Awk lost, it’s so unfortunate that u have so much stresses in ur life,, it’s inevitable that during recovery if we get stressed, our recovery can go up in the air but with time u can avoid that from happening but it does take a lot of determination and TLC, we need to always look after ourselves, make sure we are eating and drinking plenty, when anxiety strikes and the appetite goes it has a knock on effect, get plenty of sleep and take time out when u have to. Remember that u are always number one! Evaluate the situation too, is there anything u can do about it? If not then try not to worry about it, if u can, then get on it and then try and not worry about it! Easier said than done I know! Well done on the 24hr kettle, I know what a huge deal that is for u and u deserve to be extremely proud of yourself, u should try and treat yourself to something nice after a week of doing that, to give yourself something to look forward to! Keep up the good work and good luck! Xx