Other people

How do you deal with how other people react to your ocd? 

I'm trying so hard to get better, some big steps here, baby steps there. But people don't really get how hard you are trying. I wish people could see. I know I have a lot of work to do. I know I have a lot of compulsions I still do. But I'm trying so hard to be proud of how far I have come. 

But then yday when I was not doing something due to a contamination obsession, a family member  I'm staying with said "you ARE joking right", except they weren't joking and it felt quite confrontational. I ended up hiding and having a big panic attack. 

And now my other obsessions are consequently getting louder and I feel panicked and dirty and dangerous. I want to get away from the situation. 

I know there is so much work for me to do. I know it can't be easy for others, but why do they get so angry? And how can you cope with that when you're feeling vulnerable anyway?

Unfortunately we live in a world where awareness and acceptance of mental health issues still has a ways to go.  Fortunately we also live in a world where things on that front are improving everyday.

Some people will be understanding and supportive, some will be rude and dismisive and the rest will fall somewhere in between.  

Its fair and understandable to be upset, angry, frustrated, etc. when you encounter people who respond poorly.  Sometimes it will be an opportunity to help them understand what you are going through, but you might not be up for that each time and they might not be interested.  When that happens the best thing you can do is accept that we can't control others and do your best to get on with whatever it is you are doing.  Its not always easy of course, especially involving family, but you know the struggles you are dealing with and they don't, so make sure to go easy on yourself!

I think the best way for me was to expect an adverse reaction, training myself to then take a few deep breaths and calm a potential anxiety response - effectively, use exposure and response prevention at such eventuality. 

And be pleased if and when a supportive reaction occurred. 

Gradually I was able to train others to be more sympathetic, understanding and, where they could be, helpful. 

If you need some downloads to help you explain OCD to others, how it affects us and what we have to try and do to tackle it, there will be material on the main OCD-UK website. 

Edited by taurean

You are a work in progress Em. 

Progress is good, and is not failure - it takes time to unpeel the layers of rules and restrictions OCD places upon us. 

It would be wonderful if non-sufferers all understood this. Sadly they don't, but we do have the forums and OCD-UK to help us. 

We are not alone ; and we have no stigma, or responsibility for, having OCD - around 1% of the population does. 

Thank you for your replies. 

I've had mental health issues my whole life and feel such a burden. However much progress I seem to make there's always MORE. People must be so tired of me. I've been so distressed and confused this week (I start losing track of what is real with all my thoughts and pictures and noise in my head), triggered by a major ocd spike. My family were questioning getting me sectioned. I'm home now though. Exhausted but recovering. I wish I wasn't like this. I must try harder.