MINDLFULNESS COURSE

Hello

I have had two courses of individual CBT in the last years and with medication of 4omg daily of Citalapram my intrusive thoughts have been easier to manage. When I was 65 in June the dosage was reduced to 20mg and also in recent months my wifes bipolar has been worse. The effect is my intrusive thoughts and anxiety are worse and as a result I have been offered a place on an 8 week (2 hours per week plus 1 hour per day home practice per day Mindfullness couse by my local Mental Health Team of the NHS.

Does anyone hve any experience of this type of course or Mindfullness in general. Any input advice or information welcome

Thanks

Steve

Hi Mackem,

It’s worth looking at it that you have nothing to loose by doing it. I have done this course and I’ve found it very useful running along side doing my CBT. I can use the techniques I learned at very stressful times and I also sleep a lot better since doing it :yes:

I too echo the benefits of mindfulness. 

It works nicely as an addition to CBT and in a fully mindfulness state we switch  into the benign just "being" part of the brain, where we simply focus in the present in the moment, away from the active "doing" part of the brain, where our obsessing and carrying out of compulsions occur. 

I would also recommend some simple meditation. There are apps like Headspace, or downloadable books to help meditate and learn how to relax. 

"The Mindfulness Workbook For OCD" by Jon Herschfield and Tom Corboy is also great and downloadable, and was recommended by my therapist. 

It combines CBT and mindfulness.

Edited by taurean
Guest OCDhavenobrain

Mindfulness is great! Personally I am very intrested in enlightenment and such but even if you aren't mindfulness can be a great thing. That is my opinion on the matter. 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

Yeah, I'll echo the positive comments about mindfulness. I found it was a great way to refocus while not giving in to the compulsions. Something to keep the mind occupied. And, as it turns out, it's powerful even during times that I don't need to refocus. And you can do it with nobody noticing. I've sat on the train on my way to work and done a 10 minute full body scan - a great way to "reset".

Hey Steve, sorry to hear you are having a rough go of it lately (and your wife too!).  I am signed up to take some mindfulness training in the coming months and looking forward to it.  I know a little from CBT but looking to add tools to my tool chest.  Aside from helping with the OCD i've read its good for your mental well being in general.

You mention that your dosage on Citalopram was reduced and that you've had more problems since then.  Is there a possibility you could go back up to a higher dosage?  Ive learned that I need a higher dosage to get the full benefit on escitalopram than average, but then thats why its average, some people just need more (and some less).