Slipping into depression

Hey everyone,

For the past couple of weeks i have never felt worse about my mental health. I have lost all my confidence, my self esteem no longer exists and i'm in a terrible mood constantly as well as feeling anxious all the time. I've written out my symptoms on a piece of paper to give to my doctor, can I do this? Do I have to go into detail? I've had enough of feeling so down and anxious, i'm so scared i'll do something i regret. Does anyone have any tips on going to the doctor e.g. what do I say, when I book an appointment do I have to say what it's for? Im so terrified of going and scared i'll be shutdown and rejected but I am desperate and it's about time!

Hi Freya,

Sorry to hear you’re feeling so low, but great you’re seeing your doctor. 

You don’t need to tell the receptionist what it’s about (I know some practises ask when booking, so you could just say you’re feeling down so need to see a doctor or that you’re suffering with anxiety, no need to go in to great detail) 

If you think you may get flustered I would write down the main concerns and symptoms you have. With my doctor when I went, I just explained that I’d always had OCD I now feared it was health OCD too. He just asked basic questions, ie how long had I had OCD, the amount of time out of my day OCD took up, my level of anxiety, did I feel I wasn’t enjoying my days and time anymore because of the OCD etc. The doctor first got me to try CBT but then it was decided I needed medication too. Your GP will hopefully assess and guide you too in this way, and I’m sure you won’t be shut down. There’s so much more understanding about mental illness and OCD now. When I had to re order my prescription monthly at first, I had to speak with different doctors as mine wasn’t always available. One was vague and very text book, but she was ok, and the other two were really nice and very understanding. 

Wishing you best of luck and try and stay positive! You can do this! X

Thank you so much for your help! Your words of encouragement actually made me cry, i've been in a low place and I'd lost the voice that tells me to keep going. I'm so thankful of your help, I needed it and I just need to go into my doctors surgery tomorrow and book an appointment. My mum has reacted terribly to me confessing that I think i have ocd/depression. She punished me for it! Thankfully my dad was lovely and supportive, especially when i cried my eyes out to him on the way to work about my mental health and her behaviour!  I hope I can be happier soon x

You are doing the right thing Freya. 

There is good material to help you available on the OCD-UK main website, including material to download to help family and friends understand OCD and how it affects us. This should help your Mum to comprehend what you are experiencing. 

Depression is a usual consequence of problems such as you describe. You need help and the doctor is the right place to go.