Stupid thought has ruined me

I messed myself up again! I can’t even remember what I did!!? I have this thought about hearing my own voice... I keep telling myself it’s not normal to hear your own voice when you speak but then another part of me says it’s nonsense and that if I couldn’t hear myself speak it would be weird and how would I be able to tell how loud or quiet I’m speaking ??

3 hours ago, Rexx said:

I messed myself up again! I can’t even remember what I did!!? I have this thought about hearing my own voice... I keep telling myself it’s not normal to hear your own voice when you speak but then another part of me says it’s nonsense and that if I couldn’t hear myself speak it would be weird and how would I be able to tell how loud or quiet I’m speaking ??

It's just an unwanted OCD negative intrusive thought! 

It's something none of us even notice normally. 

OCD is putting the fear thought (OCD core belief) into your mind regarding hearing or not hearing yourself speak. 

Stop engaging with it and ruminating about it. 

Get busy on something else. 

38 minutes ago, taurean said:

It's just an unwanted OCD negative intrusive thought! 

It's something none of us even notice normally. 

OCD is putting the fear thought (OCD core belief) into your mind regarding hearing or not hearing yourself speak. 

Stop engaging with it and ruminating about it. 

Get busy on something else. 

I have tried... believe me I try so hard and I’ve been doing good for weeks. This thought is honestly the worst one I’ve had and the last time I got this bad it cost me my relationship and I spent months inside.

I can’t tell myself it is normal to hear yourself because I also have  “it’s not normal to hear yourself, you shouldn’t be able to hear your own voice,” in my head too then I try to imagine or remember how it would feel to not hear my own voice and every scenario seems weird and stupid. It has to be OCD because how can I not come to a conclusion here? How can I NOT remember if I should or shouldn’t be able to hear my own voice!!!!!

Edited by Rexx
4 minutes ago, Rexx said:

I have tried... believe me I try so hard and I’ve been doing good for weeks. This thought is honestly the worst one I’ve had and the last time I got this bad it cost me my relationship and I spent months inside.

I can’t tell myself it is normal to hear yourself because I also have  “it’s not normal to hear yourself, you shouldn’t be able to hear your own voice,” in my head too then I try to imagine or remember how it would feel to not hear my own voice and every scenario seems weird and stupid. It has to be OCD because how can I not come to a conclusion here? How can I NOT remember if I should or shouldn’t be able to hear my own voice!!!!!

Sure it is OCD and it is, as usual with OCD, it making something out of absolutely nothing, focusing in on it to the exclusion of other things and creating repetitive thinking. 

It's worthless nonsense. We do hear the sound of our own voice when we speak. Fact. But we don't consciously think about it, it's just "always been that way"  so is nothing special to us. 

Leave the thoughts be, don't enter into mental dialogue with them and don't try to neutralise them with another thought. 

17 minutes ago, taurean said:

Sure it is OCD and it is, as usual with OCD, it making something out of absolutely nothing, focusing in on it to the exclusion of other things and creating repetitive thinking. 

It's worthless nonsense. We do hear the sound of our own voice when we speak. Fact. But we don't consciously think about it, it's just "always been that way"  so is nothing special to us. 

Leave the thoughts be, don't enter into mental dialogue with them and don't try to neutralise them with another thought. 

Thanks for the advice.

I guess I do use these tips you have given me on a daily basis and  it actually felt like I had gotten better with coping with it.. then it all boiled down to one stupid mistake. A compulsion. That’s how I got this thought in my head. Usually if I do a silly compulsion a ridiculous thought will spawn after but they usually just come anyway... It feels like everything I’ve learnt has gone straight into the trash!!! I’m ****** that I sat there and actually gave in to a stupid compulsion something what I brushed off for weeks! Why the hell did I do it? I’ve just destroyed myself

I keep trying to mouth words without actually saying anything out loud to try and “feel” what it’d be like to not hear my own voice. 

This is going to get to a point where I start feeling insane, tired all day, crying at everything I get a chance to cry at. Feeling suicidal, SRGH IVE BEEN HERE BEFORE

Now let's put this in perspective. 

You aren't to blame for OCD sucking you into another issue. Don't beat yourself up. If it wasn't this issue, it would try and catch you with some other one. 

And I know only too well from personal experience how, if we listen to it, it will then expand the issue and add connections, and we awfulise and catastrophise. 

Good friends on here told me the "connections"  are OCD inventions, not real, just like the spread of contamination "connections"  in contamination OCD. 

So, stop ✋ listening to what it's telling you. You know the real truth about us hearing our own voices - don't listen to OCD's false take and what ifs and doubt. And don't slip into rumination and rituals. 

Even if the OCD appears to yell at you, hold firm. It only maintains power if we believe it and connect with it. 

Edited by taurean

Rexx, Im sorry to hear your struggling :(

You are acting on your compulsions and this is what is spiralling out of control. You are going over scenarios I should, I shouldn’t hear my voice etc and this is giving the first initial thought importance and making it stronger and seem really important. You need to learn it’s not important either way and don’t give it any attention, each time you get a thought regarding this just think to yourself I’m not doing this right now and occupy yourself with the job in hand, whether your watching tv, reading, working etc. In time the thoughts will fade away and you will be able to see this for what it really is :yes: