Such a waste of time

I know this is stating the obvious, but OCD compulsions are the biggest waste of time and more than that they take us away from life.

I wasted all of today on compulsions, all of which are safety seeking behaviours that I'm so used to doing because I want to take my fears away. Short term relief was achieved after about 10 hours, but they never provide reassurance because they just set me up to behave that way for the next fear.

Not only did I waste a day, but I missed out on a day out with my husband and daughter. I feel angry at myself for doing it. But not in a bad way, in a motivational type way. 

I want to change.

Through my CBT, which is now over, I think I've cracked some of my themes, but one or two are holding tight. I will try my very hardest to wean them out of my life.

Justed wanted to air my thoughts with all the lovely people here and say let's not waste so much time. X

Edited by Emsie

They are an incredible waste of time... and energy. They accomplish nothing, except to feed the OCD to start the cycle all over again.

And it's all based on a lie. No matter the theme, no matter the exact obsession, OCD is a pack of lies, each and every time. OCD has never told the truth. Not once.

Yet, sufferers continue to do compulsions, just in case this time the thoughts are true. It's actually crazy if you think about it.

8 hours ago, PolarBear said:

They are an incredible waste of time... and energy. They accomplish nothing, except to feed the OCD to start the cycle all over again.

And it's all based on a lie. No matter the theme, no matter the exact obsession, OCD is a pack of lies, each and every time. OCD has never told the truth. Not once.

Yet, sufferers continue to do compulsions, just in case this time the thoughts are true. It's actually crazy if you think about it.

I so agree PolarBear. 

20 minutes ago, bruces said:

I hate ocd so much and what it's done to me. 

Use that Bruces, but turn it in to a positive. Make a decision to want to change and say ‘no more’ and take small steps to change and  then build on them. We all know it’s hard, but the alternative is hard. What have you got to loose? 

That’s great news Emsie, even though you missed out on a day out with your hubby and daughter a good thing came out of a bad day, so to speak. 

I think the most important part of recovery is motivation, without motivation we wouldn’t achieve anything even if we had the best most knowledgable therapist in the world guiding us.

You can do this :cheer:

Why not have a think about some therapy Bruces? OCD gets me down, I'm not going to lie, but I have hope. I have made good progress and I'm hopeful for more. You can get out of this and you have had some great advice to help you start. 

I know that you achieved getting a new job recently, its likely you hoped for that. I hope that you are enjoying it and that it's a good change for you. 

Why don't you start doing a gratitude book...buy a nice notebook and at the end of every day try to write down 3 things you are grateful for. They can just be small things like....I'm grateful for having a cosy bed, for the smile that someone gave me today. Basically, anything you're grateful for. This may start to lift your mood and help you feel better about things. 

10 minutes ago, lostinme said:

That’s great news Emsie, even though you missed out on a day out with your hubby and daughter a good thing came out of a bad day, so to speak. 

I think the most important part of recovery is motivation, without motivation we wouldn’t achieve anything even if we had the best most knowledgable therapist in the world guiding us.

You can do this :cheer:

Thank you so much, Lost. Bless you. I hope all is going well for you. Thank you as ever for cheering me on lovely lady. X

Bruces, here's my grateful list for today:

1) I'm grateful for hardly doing any compulsions today.

2) I'm grateful for having the support of this great forum.

3) I'm grateful for a thank you that I received today when I helped someone at a Supermarket.

If you can do this every day for a week, see how you feel after that one week. I hope that it's better and then keep going with it.

I’m good thanks Emsie, very busy with lots of things so I don’t get as much time as I’d like on the forum these days:(

Im still working through my CBT and doing pretty well at the moment so I’m feeling pretty pleased with myself :yes:

Its good to hear your still working on your therapy and working through any difficulties you face along your journey, with continued hope and motivation you can do this :cheer:x

11 minutes ago, Emsie said:

Bruces, here's my grateful list for today:

1) I'm grateful for hardly doing any compulsions today.

2) I'm grateful for having the support of this great forum.

3) I'm grateful for a thank you that I received today when I helped someone at a Supermarket.

If you can do this every day for a week, see how you feel after that one week. I hope that it's better and then keep going with it.

I think this sounds a great idea bruce, why not give it go, you might even be pleasantly suprised :yes:

1 hour ago, lostinme said:

I’m good thanks Emsie, very busy with lots of things so I don’t get as much time as I’d like on the forum these days:(

Im still working through my CBT and doing pretty well at the moment so I’m feeling pretty pleased with myself :yes:

Its good to hear your still working on your therapy and working through any difficulties you face along your journey, with continued hope and motivation you can do this :cheer:x

That's wonderful, Lost, I'm so pleased for you. 

Thank you so much for your lovely words. X

Just now, lonely mum said:

This is a nice positive post.  I also hate how much time I miss out on with my children because of this. 

Thank you. Me too, we must make that the motivation to not miss out on time with them. X