What are the little things that help you?

I learned that OCD lies exaggerates or creates revulsion (e.g. urine, vomit) and to a non-sufferer our OCD intrusions are worthless nonsense they wouldn't give any time of day to. 

So I learned to use "The Four Steps"  concept of Jeffrey Schwartz to first label an intrusion OCD, re-attribute it to OCD, refocus away without responding by carrying out compulsions, then revalue to show myself that my true character values remain intact. 

Eventually I learned mindfulness, which enables me to step away from obsessing and compulsing, and simply be in the present in the moment. 

52 minutes ago, taurean said:

I learned that OCD lies exaggerates or creates revulsion (e.g. urine, vomit) and to a non-sufferer our OCD intrusions are worthless nonsense they wouldn't give any time of day to. 

So I learned to use "The Four Steps"  concept of Jeffrey Schwartz to first label an intrusion OCD, re-attribute it to OCD, refocus away without responding by carrying out compulsions, then revalue to show myself that my true character values remain intact. 

Eventually I learned mindfulness, which enables me to step away from obsessing and compulsing, and simply be in the present in the moment. 

That’s amazing!!

TV, video games, reading, those all help me by engaging my mind.  Making sure I get enough sleep helps me because it means I don't feel exhausted.  Getting out of the house and getting some fresh air, that helps, its not good to sit and dwell.  When I'm really struggling I find writing down my thoughts helps.  Talking to my mom helps too, but I try and limit that as well because I know it can turn in to reassurance seeking if I'm not careful.  She's pretty good at the OCD stuff by now though, and usually it helps me by realizing my rumination are not logical and helping me break out of anxiety cycles.

To always remind myself that recovery is possible.

Keeping myself motivated to do the set tasks and pushing for a little bit more. 

Being kind to myself and not letting a setback put me off keep trying. 

Remembering a bad day is a learning curb and not a failure. 

Praising myself for my achievements no matter how small.

When things get tough take a step back and have five and try again later when your feeling calmer in yourself.