Does anyone else have intrusive thoughts about people.

Hi, my main intrusive thoughts I get involve people, mostly men. If I'm friends with them, or if I work with them. I get constant intrusive images of their face and it's like they're constantly on my mind. I don't want them to be on my mind. It's worse when I find one  attractive, I feel guilty because I have a boyfriend. I know it's natural to find other people attractive but when you're having Intrusive thoughts about them it's horrible. I just want to think okay I find them attractive whatever let's leave it at that. 

18 hours ago, paradoxer said:

No, in accumulative history of OCD, no one, ever, not one, has ever had intrusive thoughts about other people.  :p

You can't possibly know that, out of every single person that has ocd, not a single one has intrusive thoughts about people. 

9 hours ago, Snowflake said:

You can't possibly know that, out of every single person that has ocd, not a single one has intrusive thoughts about people. 

Snowflake, Snowflake, it was a joke! Intrusive thoughts about other people is probably one of the most common obsessions of OCD. I was actually surprised that you would even ask such a question! 

7 hours ago, snowbear said:

Perhaps the confusion your comment caused will act as a reminder that sarcasm and jokes don't come across well in a written format, Paradoxer? 

I take your point, but I did include a cheeky emoji, and thought the answer was such an obvious given, but as said, point taken. 

On 28/09/2018 at 08:12, paradoxer said:

Snowflake, Snowflake, it was a joke! Intrusive thoughts about other people is probably one of the most common obsessions of OCD. I was actually surprised that you would even ask such a question! 

I apologies, I was in a anxious mood I was on edge so  I didn't obviously didn't get the sarcasm lol. I was scared I was the only one who got this. My intrusive thought mostly involve people. I feel extremely guilty and horrible because I love my boyfriend, I'm sorry for being a little defensive. It's hard to explain, my intrusive thoughts are not  sexual at the moment but the image of the person is in my mind, it's depressing me. If I just let my thought be and don't fight them then I feel guilty because I'm not doing anything to stop it. The fact that I find  they guy attractive, makes it worse. 

On 30/09/2018 at 08:55, Snowflake said:

I apologies, I was in a anxious mood I was on edge so  I didn't obviously didn't get the sarcasm lol. I was scared I was the only one who got this. My intrusive thought mostly involve people. I feel extremely guilty and horrible because I love my boyfriend, I'm sorry for being a little defensive. It's hard to explain, my intrusive thoughts are not  sexual at the moment but the image of the person is in my mind, it's depressing me. If I just let my thought be and don't fight them then I feel guilty because I'm not doing anything to stop it. The fact that I find  they guy attractive, makes it worse. 

Snowflake, no apologies necessary, perhaps I  shouldn't have made the sarcastic response. 

As for a therapeutic response to your OCD, try to take a counter-intuitive response. You say you feel guilty if you don't fight them, but not fighting them means they're not important, right? When you try to fight them, you attach importance to them. The problem isn't your theme, it's attributing importance to the thoughts. Message to brain :'I'm treating this (or at any rate my brain is) as if it were important, so it must be'.

Reminder - it's not. 

21 minutes ago, paradoxer said:

Snowflake, no apologies necessary, perhaps I  shouldn't have made the sarcastic response. 

As for a therapeutic response to your OCD, try to take a counter-intuitive response. You say you feel guilty if you don't fight them, but not fighting them means they're not important, right? When you try to fight them, you attach importance to them. The problem isn't your theme, it's attributing importance to the thoughts. Message to brain :'I'm treating this (or at any rate my brain is) as if it were important, so it must be'.

Reminder - it's not.

sorry to interject i know there is clearly a reason u dont take messages, but would like to say its great to see u on here, i was on stuckinadoorway, and i knew from ur "in the trenches phrase" u are the same paradoxer on there, u always gave great advice, i actually would have appreciated u checking out my thread if u could to hear some of ur advice, i know im being somewhat needy here anyway its good, in one sense to see u in another, it isnt lol.

41 minutes ago, humbleno1 said:

sorry to interject i know there is clearly a reason u dont take messages, but would like to say its great to see u on here, i was on stuckinadoorway, and i knew from ur "in the trenches phrase" u are the same paradoxer on there, u always gave great advice, i actually would have appreciated u checking out my thread if u could to hear some of ur advice, i know im being somewhat needy here anyway its good, in one sense to see u in another, it isnt lol.

humblenot, yes, I'm the same paradoxer from stuckinadoorway. Thanks, for the kind words. I'm not sure what you mean by not taking messages, but will take a look at your thread. Cheers. 

On 02/10/2018 at 01:19, paradoxer said:

Reminder - it's not. 

I'm usually a little sarcastic myself when I'm not obsessing about things. I need to be less sensative at times.

I do attach great importance to my thughts. Since I last responded I've come a long way. I haven't let the thoughts have meaning and I haven't tried to push them away. I've just let them be. I'm happy to say the thoughts have reduced massively. So thank you ? 

3 hours ago, Snowflake said:

I'm usually a little sarcastic myself when I'm not obsessing about things. I need to be less sensative at times.

I do attach great importance to my thughts. Since I last responded I've come a long way. I haven't let the thoughts have meaning and I haven't tried to push them away. I've just let them be. I'm happy to say the thoughts have reduced massively. So thank you ? 

:clapping: